Outside door handle adjustment.

Started by GTV1779, January 09, 2011, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTV1779

Hi,
My GTV outside door handle is failing to lift the latch high enough to clear the catch on the B pillar. Rebuilt hinges door has not sagged,
internal door handle opens door every time. Handle is a Turin Imports replacement fitted 6 years ago. Can't see any adjustment in original handle or workshop manual. Can any one help with a suggestion on how to fix the problem before I strip the door or order new door handles.
Regards, GTV1779

Colin Byrne

assuming your talking about a 105, there should be a small adjustment bolt (m4 i think) at the end of the die cast arm that comes off the outside door handle. Screwing this down so that it just rests on the internal striking plate should help
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

GTV1779

Thank you Colin for your prompt reply it is a 105 1750 mk1 I have owned since 1996 will adust during the week.
Regards,

cjheath

The other thing that makes these come loose is wear in the pivot holes. There are rivets in these, and the die-cast metal just wears the hole around the rivet larger. As they loosen, they have less range of effective movement at the adjustment screw.

Mark Baigent

Just a little hint when resetting the handles into final position - they are notorious for wearing the paintwork and door panel because of their raw edges and metal to metal contact with the door. Regardless of how well they are fitted they eventually move with use. "Seat" the edges on a bed of silicone which acts essentially as a gasket (Wurths is best) stopping the handles from moving, absorbing the 'shock' of each use and protecting the paintwork at the same time. Smooth off just as it's drying and you wont even know it's there. They'll never move again nor damage the paint.