GTV6 resto- progress shots

Started by Repco Lad, December 02, 2010, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repco Lad

Hi all

Having keenly followed the progress of other restos on the forum, I thought it was high time I posted a few of my own.

Car is an 85 GTV6. The plan is to do a full resto in stages, with performance improvements to engine/ trans and brakes as part of the process; (all whilst trying to avoid divorce court along the way!)

Items picked up along the way:
* 3lt motor from a 75. Rebuilt top end- comp ratio 10.3:1
* LSD transaxle
* mint black interior (find of the year)
* set of Simmons F90s

So where is it at?
* engine and trans have been removed and engine bay stripped out
* a week of solid sanding to get bay ready for painting
* excess amount of photos taken of the loom. Famous last words- 'Looks like it will go back easy enough'
* rust identified and neutralised/ repaired
* and finally, into the booth.... stay tuned

Regards
RL

scott.venables

Nice work!  Have you bought new pistons or has the head been milled for the compression ratio increase? What other goodies have you included in the head rebuild?

Scott

Repco Lad

Hi Scott

To be honest, I bought the motor off e-bay, after doing a little investigation work as to who had put it together. (Geoff Unsworth/ Hugh Harrison).
Engine came from a car that had slipped the timing belt and bent a couple of valves, hence all the work on the head.

I can tell you that the heads were stripped, new exhaust guides fitted, seats recut and the valves faced- pretty much a standard rebuild.
Head was shaved to increase compression ratio.
Bottom end was examined and found to be OK, so no need for rebuild work there

I've also had the fuel injection system rebuilt. Interesting to compare the flow rate figures before and after. They were all in the low 40's/ high 30's. Worst one was 36. Now all running at 53

Done all the usuals whilst the motor is out, such as rebuilding the alt and starter, radiator clean out, new hoses and belts, new fuel pump etc, plus removing 25 years of oil build up.

Regards
RL