GTV6 Fuel Pump Combination Relay

Started by AgeG, November 11, 2010, 10:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgeG

GUys,

GTV6 decided to express it's unhappiness of not being driven much by dying on me in the garage as I was warming it up.

I assumed it was a fuel delivery issue as there would appear to be a spark and the car was running perfectly up until now.

I have checked all fuses and that seems ok, but no power is getting to the fuel pump after testing it with a test light. I have read you can short the fuel pump relay (black box on driver's side firewall) with a wire from one point to another but i wasnt sure which wires to connect.

ANy help or an explanatory diagram would be great, as I was to diagnose the problem tonight so i can get any parts I need to fix before the weekend.

Cheers,

Adrian
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

Al Campbell

Adrian,

Yep try straight to the pump first then: On the Double relay - bridge 88d/Pink with white stripe (to pump via inertia switch) to 88y/Red (heavy wire) which should be power from fuse 4.

Check if you have an inertia switch fitted and has it tripped? That pink/white wire passes through it. It should be a small cylinder with a button to press down on the curve below the double relay (and below you air-horn pump). My car doesn't have an inertia switch by the way, despite what's in the wiring diagram in the manual that was delivered with the car.

Good Luck

Al.

AgeG

THanks for the replies,

I do have an inertia switch and i checked it wasnt tripped by pushing it and then pushing it again so it pops up back to normal position, i assume thats all i need to do?

THere is a kill switch that someone put in the car some stage, but that flick switch is wired into the number 8 fuse spot with an inline fuse along the wiring, and that fuse hasnt tripped so dont think anything is up there.

I will hard wire the fuel pump to see if it goes, and if so bridge the relay to isolate the problem to that.

Thanks again, especially to Al who has been a great help in the past also.

See you all on sunday i hope (My numberplate is GTV 060) if i get the car going!!!!

Cheers,

Adrian
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

AgeG

Sorry one more question, when feeding the fuel pump with power directly from the battery, do i run it from positive on the battery to the positive side of the pump, i know it may be a silly question but i would rather not find out the wrong way!
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

Al Campbell

Adrian,

I'm guessing the kill switch goes on the ignition switch side of fuse 8 - the single heavy brown wire. That side connects to fuses 6,7 & 8 in common so you could check that by putting the key in run and seeing if the wipers work - that's fuse 6,  or reversing lights/electric windows (fuse 7)

If the kill switch breaks the 2 pink wires on the other side of fuse 8 then it's only the ignition circuit (spark &c.) that's interrupted.

AL.

AgeG

Al,
Fuse spot 8 has no fuse, instead there are wires soldiered onto the pins where the fuse should be and they run to where the kill switch is with an online fuse along the way. Could the switch be faulty maybe? How could I test that current is flowing through the switch successfully? Test light top or bottom pin of fuse spot 8?

1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

Al Campbell

One side of test light to ground, ignition key in run position.

Kill switch off: one side of fuse 8 holder should illuminate the test light, other side should be dark. Top or bottom I'm not sure.

Kill switch on: Both sides of fuse 8 should now be on.

AL.

dehne

i cannot think which wires they are but in the relay you can bypass the fuel pump side and connect a wire into it and the fuel pump will come on with the ignition
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

AgeG

1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

Al Campbell

Does it not (I'm not sure) require the AFM flap to be open to power the pump under normal conditions?

Remove the air filter and jam the flap open a little with a screw driver is I believe the nromal technique. A safety feature to turn the pump off if the engine isn't going.

I think that's how it works.

AL.

AgeG

Well I ran a line from the battery to the pump and nothing happened so I can only assume that the pump is stuffed? I'm trying to avoid having to tow my car to the mechanic.
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

AgeG

Got it going bypassed the relay. Thanks everyone
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey

Sheldon McIntosh

Try taking the relay out and cleaning the connections.  I got an extra volt at the fuel pump by doing that.

AgeG

Ahh yes it was a case of a faulty lead when I tried direct power to the pump the first time. Pump is fine, Milanos didnt have a relay yesterday and I ran out of time, will get one during the week.
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey