Bosch electronic dizzy for 83 Giulietta

Started by minipete, November 06, 2010, 08:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minipete

The Bosch electronic dizzy in my 83 Giulietta has lots of play in the shaft and is giving problems.  I assume this is causing the misfire.

Should I get it rebuilt/rebushed or is there other alternatives?

Pete

bt46

Hi Pete.
The dizzy would have to be pretty flogged out to cause a noticable missfire however excessive play is not a good thing.
I had one rebuilt years ago and it was pretty expensive. About 500 bucks from memory. Worth it on a good engine I guess.
The two bushes in the housing will need changing but the trick is doing this without stuffing something else up in the process.
You could try and find a s/h one as there are a few around or purchase an aftermarket unit for around the same price as a full rebuild.
Im not saying excessive play is acceptable but you might want to try another dizzy before you condemn the play in your shaft to your missfire. Just a thought.
Cheers.

minipete

The misfire is slight and is accompanied by a feeling of retardation, tacho fluctuating and a whirring noise coming from the dizzy.  I don't know what is inside that could make this noise (you can hear it from the drivers seat while driving along) but I was hoping a rebuild might fix any issues it has.

I replaced the cap, rotor, leads and control unit previously and it didn't fix the misfire.

An aftermarket replacement dizzy is a good idea if such a thing exists.

I'll talk to my auto electrician on Monday unless someone who has had a similar problem comes up with a solution.

Cheers

bt46

Hi Pete.
The missfire could be anything. You just have to go through it as you are doing.
A friends twin spark was making a squeeking sound from the dizzy in the block. Turned out the shaft was bone dry. Bit of greese and never heard from it again.
Cheers

Martyn

Pete
Check the plate holding the dizzy to the engine block. Sometimes the hole that locates over the block stud gets elongated and the dizzy will move around no matter how much you tighten the nut.
Have had this sort of dizzy rebushed for about $250.
Do not recommend after market eg Ignitor 1 or 2 because if you accidently leave ignition on for a minute or more without running engine they burn out and thats it $200 down the gurgler!
The Bosch sytem iis ultra reliable ,I have used in my race car for many years.
Regards
Martyn
Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)

minipete

Thanks for the responses.  I have had the car for 24 years and the dizzy has not given a peep till now.  I don't mind spending to get it right and I'd rather keep it original if possible.

Cheers

minipete

Had the bushes done and that was all it was.  They were really bad.

Gone is the wobble in the shaft and also the bad miss.

Just why the wobbly shaft caused my rotor to melt down must remain a mystery.

Pete