FoSC Bathurst - no longer

Started by alfagtv58, October 12, 2010, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

:'(

From Charles @ FoSC.

Friday, 8 October 2010

Hi Phil,

I don't really know how best to say this: we are not going to be conducting a FoSC Mount Panorama Easter event next year.

Selfishly, I am going to miss the pride watching the drivers' faces returning to the paddock after their event, experiencing the fabulous camaraderie in the paddock, feeling such wonder at and pride of the flaggies returning in the evening smiling and making "high fives", hearing continued praise for our Masters, receiving shouted welcomes and congratulations from complete strangers during the weekend and returning home and working through literally hundreds of excitable emails after each of the three years we ran at Bathurst.

I am totally overwhelmed just thinking back over those only three years.

Really, all of us in FoSC have had an absolutely wonderful time, taking into account all the difficulties we had to overcome to just get to the Mountain, it is the greatest experience we have all had in our time in our great sport. The friendships based on just being there together are numerous.

If you were there, you know the sheer pleasure we all experienced at Bathurst. We were all part of something very very special, watching everyone soak up the spectacular moment that was "us on the Mountain".

We all came to enjoy this magic circuit, but we made it more than just magic, we joined together, driver, official, pit crew, family, everyone and we came together for a momentous period.

"We ran the Mountain", from an office or behind a steering wheel, from a flag point or in the timing box, from a tilt tray or the spectator gate, and we all made it momentous.

We had no film stars or professional drivers, no models on the grid or sponsors pouring dollars into the event, we were just amateur motor sport at its best – enjoying ourselves.

Unfortunately, circumstances have conspired so the "team that is FoSC" cannot overcome them for 2011, so we have decided to retain our sanity, go to Eastern Creek next Easter for a different but new event and keep our Mountain powder dry for another time.

So, I am sorry, as are each of the FoSC team, but we did it, and maybe we can do it again, if circumstances allow us or another club, to bring amateur motor sport to arguably the best circuit in the world. Above all I am feeling a great hole at the thought of not being at Mount Panorama with all those wonderful people next Easter. A great circuit, but greater people, who came to enjoy!

On behalf of FoSC, we hope WE ALL can do it again!

My Best Regards
Charles Jardine
www.fosc.com.au

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

NigelC

All concerned members should them to leave a polite but clear 'comment' on this very good article from the local newspaper.  If a couple of hundred people express their disgust with the Bathurst Council over its approach that may carry some weight.

http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/sporting-cars-festival-moves-to-eastern-creek/1963966.aspx

Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Barry Edmunds

Sadly I suspect that CAMS will be silent and of little help.

alfagtv58

To be honest, I think that the Bathurst Regional Council have more to answer here than CAMS in this instance.

Apparently there is another event on at Easter again, this time run by Yeehah events (the same promoters that run the 12 Hr).  There is supposed to be a couple of 'Production Sports Cars' 1 hour races (hmmmm standard Alfetta brakes at Bathurst for an hour??).  Details to be released in the next few weeks.  My guess is it will be very costly.  FoSC are running an event at Eastern Creek (a 2 + 4 meeting) and I have no doubt it will be run as they usually run their events, good fun, cost effective and all about the racing (not the results).

So that means that Easter next year there will be an event at Bathurst (?), an event at Eastern Creek and the Mallala Historics......decisions, decisions (and running at a reduced budget next year due to the mid year arrival of #2 child)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

NigelC

Given that FOSC have done the right thing, I think they deserve our support so Eastern Creek for Easter 2011!
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust