Which Bilsteins?

Started by GTVeloce, September 24, 2010, 03:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi Guys
I am looking to purchase some new shocks for my GTV and am thinking of going for Bilstein B6's. I have the full suspension (f&r) from a 75 TS installed which was a simple swap (excluding torsion bars and springs). The Bilstein catalog has different part numbers for the GTV and 75. Does anyone know why? Which one should I be buying? Finally, this is a fast road car (lowered with 3 degrees neg camber!) but I don't want to kill the ride completely - will the B6's be too much? Thanks.

Barry Edmunds

GTVeloce
Have a chat with Jim Doxey at Quandrant Suspension in Berwick, Quadrant are the Australian agents for Bilstein and would have all the necessary info for your application. They can also re-valve to suit if stock items not suitable.
Barry

GTVeloce

Thanks Barry, I will follow up with Quadrant.

Al Campbell

GTVeloce,

Let us know what you finbd out and your experince if and when you fit them please, as I'm heading down the same track myself.

Thanks,
AL.

GTVeloce

Sorry it has taken me so long but I haven't had a chance to look at the car for a while. I have just ordered 4 Bilstein B6's from Performatek in the states. Thanks to the Aussie dollar I managed to pick them up for a shade under $500AUD. I have discovered the main difference between the Alfetta/GTV and 75 shocks were the ones for the 75 are a tiny bit longer. I will let you know how they perform once I have them installed.

MD

GTVeloce,

If you got the right ones,they will mount like this to reduce unsprung weight.
The number on it is :

642-0465 H002
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTVeloce

MD

For fans of Bilstein dampers, did you know that they can be mounted in any configuration you like because they are a pressurised gas? This all goes well for models not using strut type dampers of course.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

giulia_veloce

Hi Guys

One of the differences is,,some cars,,late model GTV + 75 etc  models have the bump rubber in the shock and not on the body and visa versa

Robert

martym00se72

I have late model spec Koni's on earlier GTV6 - doubling up on bump stops, but no drama there  ;D
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

GTVeloce

I have finally got the Bilsteins installed and am very impressed. They are quite firm but they do the job they are meant to very well. Now I am wondering if I should also uprate the torsion bars to the 27/28mm ones.

The Pedders I replaced, however, the story is not so good. After about a years worth of driving (and a year sitting in the garage!) they were almost cactus. One actually was. There was a significant difference in the pressure required to compress (between the Bilstein's and Pedders) and the rate of expansion very significant. These were the best Pedders I could get (Red Gas Riders or something like that) and clearly not up to the task.