Alfa 75 TS with twin Dellorto DHLA40s?

Started by 82Alfetta, September 17, 2010, 02:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82Alfetta

Hi all

Need some expert advice. Someone is selling a 75TS engine at rock-bottom price but without ECU or wireharness. I have read in various international forums that a properly setup 75TS engine with twin carbs actually makes MORE power than an injected TS.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/opinion as to what manifold to use? Im putting the 75 TS engine into my '82 Alfetta Sedan. Will the Alfetta gbox fit? how about the rev counter? (which is electronic on the 75). etc etc.

What you think? Alfetta with 75TS engine running on twin carbs with trumpets will be awesome i think.

Cheers

Syed
"Men change gears using the Clutch, Paddles are for Women with high heels..."

MD

I am imagining that you intend to use your Alfetta carbs on the TS ??

That being the case, you will need a custom made manifold to assist with coupling the carbs into the TS intakes.The bores need to be aligned exactly and a such a manifold will do that.

As for carbs making better power than EFI, that's rubbish. Injection makes better atomisation and the ignition timing has much better control. In a  tourque curve, a carburretted engine usually has a curve dip around the 4-4.5krpm mark. A proper cam design and timing in an injected engine doesn't have that. Wild race cams on injected engines with ECU's are able to idle much better at lower RPMs than carbs which need to higher rpms to operate the same cam profiles.

The gearbox will fit. Your existing tacho will work the same if you are running points and coil.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

bt46

Hey Guys.
Sorry if im hijacking your threads all the time but im really f'n bored. Hopefully i can help someone at least anyway.
You can purchase a manifold from Alfaholics in the UK.
No way will a ts running on 40mm carbs produce more power than the standard injection.
I have often wondered about 45mm carbs however.
Have a look at the Alfaholics site as they use the ts engine for there GTA replicas. Mostly 105 stuff but impressive indeed.

AR116

I would simply stay to fuel injection. As some of the others have mention it is far better than carby.
If the TS engine doesn't have come with an ECU, then have a look at aftermarket ECU's if you want to gain maximum power with aftermarket modifications. Or the factory ECU will be fine aswell.

Storm_X

Quote from: 82Alfetta on September 17, 2010, 02:31:27 PM
Hi all

Need some expert advice. Someone is selling a 75TS engine at rock-bottom price but without ECU or wireharness. I have read in various international forums that a properly setup 75TS engine with twin carbs actually makes MORE power than an injected TS.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/opinion as to what manifold to use? Im putting the 75 TS engine into my '82 Alfetta Sedan. Will the Alfetta gbox fit? how about the rev counter? (which is electronic on the 75). etc etc.

What you think? Alfetta with 75TS engine running on twin carbs with trumpets will be awesome i think.

Cheers

Syed

how much os rock bottom ??

also 45mm webers will sound good
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

82Alfetta

Quote from: Storm_X on September 17, 2010, 07:47:11 PM
Quote from: 82Alfetta on September 17, 2010, 02:31:27 PM
Hi all

Cheers

Syed

how much os rock bottom ??

also 45mm webers will sound good

Rock bottom like AUS$300 for a complete engine! Minus ECU and wirejarness...

Tristan Atkins

Hi 82 Alfetta,

If your just purchasing the motor (and $400 sounds like a really good price) I would go the carbs for the following reasons:

If you use the factory injection you will need:

• The ecu and loom
    A high pressure fuel pump and hosing
    Throttle cable and pedal
    TS pedal box - this angles the clutch master cylinder to clear the fuel injection plenum
    Intake box
    Ignition coil mounts
    Carbon canister
    etc

It took me a while to remove the engine, cut all the require holes for the loom, coolant and fuel hoses, replace the pedal box, replace the engine then adjust all the wiring etc. I also had the advantage of using a wrecked 75 where I just pillaged all the parts and thus I didn't need to source anything.

The adapter required for the carburetors is available online and you only need to swap the engines over, adapt the radiator hosing, mount the second coil somewhere. It would probably take 1/4 the time of converting the car for EFI and you still get that cool induction noise ;)

Good luck with your project!

Tristan

82Alfetta

Quote from: Tristan Atkins on September 17, 2010, 10:34:43 PM
Hi 82 Alfetta,

If your just purchasing the motor (and $400 sounds like a really good price) I would go the carbs for the following reasons:

If you use the factory injection you will need:

• The ecu and loom
    A high pressure fuel pump and hosing
    Throttle cable and pedal
    TS pedal box - this angles the clutch master cylinder to clear the fuel injection plenum
    Intake box
    Ignition coil mounts
    Carbon canister
    etc

It took me a while to remove the engine, cut all the require holes for the loom, coolant and fuel hoses, replace the pedal box, replace the engine then adjust all the wiring etc. I also had the advantage of using a wrecked 75 where I just pillaged all the parts and thus I didn't need to source anything.

The adapter required for the carburetors is available online and you only need to swap the engines over, adapt the radiator hosing, mount the second coil somewhere. It would probably take 1/4 the time of converting the car for EFI and you still get that cool induction noise ;)

Good luck with your project!

Tristan

Correction, not $400 but $300! The lesser the better aye? :)

BradGTV

if it were me, i would go with 45mm webers on the twinspark, with a nissan twinspark dizzy modified to fit. i reckon the sound of such an engine would be amazing with a nice exhaust. this would by far be the cheapest option for you and easiest in way.
or if the budget permits, individual throttle bodies and a haltech ;D
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd