Alfetta Transaxle gear box lube for racing and or club days.

Started by paul edwards, August 20, 2010, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul edwards

Hi all

Just thought l would get the ball rolling on this topic. l use the Red line synthetic shock proof (light weight) in my transaxle, it is a bit pricie but l really like it. It will actually improve the change and in some cases a gear box that is a little crunchy it will help if not stop the crunching.

Shock Proof gear oil has a 40% lower coefficient of friction and 250% the load carrying capacity compared to conventional gear oil, which means that the metal to metal friction is greatly reduced.

Cheers Paul
Full noise – Fully sideways ;)

jimnielsen

Paul, I like that redline product as well, and used to use it, but, I also found that Valvoline Duragear API GL5 75W-90 was just as good and cost half as much. In a gearbox that you are pulling apart every other raceday (and throwing away the oil) I thought that the Valvoline product was a better choice. They both help 2nd gear changes. This is specifically in reference to the 116 transaxle, however, I also use the same product in the 155's gear box.

jim.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

MD

Jim,

How compatible is that Valvoline transmission fluid with the transaxle LSD ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

jimnielsen

It works fine with the 116 type LSD's - but you need to make sure that you get that specific API GL5 product and not the closely related and similarly named API GL4 products that Valvoline also make.

cheers, jim.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

MD

Thank you.

Have you ever had the occasion to use Shell XGO Gear Oil 75W-90 API GL5 Mil-L-21050. I am told it is also a good oil. If you have, what's it like compared to the Valvoline stuff?

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfa duk

Taking the advise about the redline gear oil, how many litres do the transaxles hold? I wanted to get the gallon bottle but they only have the small bottles at the moment and considering the cost, i dont want to keep stock. Regards Doug
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Rob Berson

Doing some research on the internet, opinions seem to be divided on Redline gear oil. Some people swear by it for Alfa gearboxes and some seem to believe that it gums up and leads to syncro damage. However it does appear that Redline 75/90 NS and not Redline Shockproof is the correct Redline oil to use in an Alfa transaxle.

Rob

hmd

alfa duk

Rob, why do you recommend the 75/90, most people  that i know use the lightweight shockproof . doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Rob Berson

Doug

I am only stating information that I have found on the net. Go onto the Alfa BB forum and do a search. Apparently Redline themselves dont reccomend shockproof for use on Alfa boxes.

Rob

alfa duk

just thought that i would post the answer about how much oil the transaxle takes = 2.85 litres
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

MD

If you have the time to read 7 pages relating to transmission oil coolers and transmission fluids specifically for racing transaxles, you should go here:

http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3477&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=gearbox+oils

Bear in mind that on the recommeded oils list is a Valvoline product which is a GL-4 and it would appear from Jim Nielsen's earlier comment, not suitable for an LSD box but the GL-5 version is ok.

Please note:

The above lubricants are meant to be suitable for transaxles equipped with a limited slip differential which is a disc pack type. NOT ALL LUBRICANTS SUITABLE FOR OPEN DIFF. TRANSAXLES ARE SUITABLE FOR LSD TYPES.

Providing advice that certain lubricants are suitable for Alfa transaxles without further qualification is not meaningful enough.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Rob Berson

Speaking to Vin Sharp today - he uses and recommends Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil and has yet to see any adverse effects.

Rob

Paul Newby

I put Redline in my Alfetta in 2007. It was the Heavyweight grade and I changed over to the Lightweight in 2009. It is probably due for a change for this season

I haven't had any shifting issues and I think the Lightweight is probably better - but I am pretty easy on the gear changes.

One probably I had last year was jumping out of second gear. We kept on increasing the slotting on the gear change bracket (second gear is farthest away) and that dodge has worked.

I've been told that the real problem is end float and only a total gearbox rebuild with new bits will sort this out.

At the moment all my synchros are fine so have left well alone.

Regarding my gearbox history. Vin built it as a modded Twin Spark box with a 4.1 in 2000 and then rebuilt it in 2007 with new synchros, a 4.3 and a shorter 5th gear. I suspect that after such a life that replacing things like selector forks and possibly bearings is on the cards. I have a couple of spare gearboxes with bits so that shouldn't pose a problem.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

alfa duk

I have put the  redline lightweight shockproof in and will report back after next weekends FOSC meeting at Wakefield Park. Hopefully it wont be like it is today. Doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s