Transaxle's

Started by stradale, August 04, 2010, 09:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradale

Does Anyone have have a lightned 116 Transaxle gearset

jimnielsen

Lightening the trans-axle in a 116 type Alfa does make a significant difference to how fast you can get the gearset to go from 4th or 5th back to 2nd in a racing scenario. I put a lot of time and effort in this process and ended up with gears that looked like swiss cheese (all machine work done by Vin Sharp). Lightening also preserves the 2nd gear synchro somewhat, but you still have to learn not to beat the synchro by heel-toeing from 4th/5th back to 2nd every time. The gears in the 116 trans-axle are unnecessarily hard, so it take a lot of time effort and money to lighten them properly. Most people would consider it a 3rd order improvement, to be considered only after already having implemented a LSD box with 50% lockup ratio, mixed gear set from a giulietta/twinspark etc.

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

stradale

Hi Jim
Have you experienced any fatigue between the holes drilled........ I mean what weakness doe's lightening the gearset expose

jimnielsen

no, the gears in the 116 transaxle are very strong, even with very extensive drilling and deep machining on both faces, we didn't have any failures. The diff will most likely fail before a gear breaks anyway!
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

alfa duk

Google performatek for some interesting stuff
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s