Using TS 8V camshafts in Alfetta NORD engine?

Started by 82Alfetta, July 21, 2010, 02:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82Alfetta

G'day

I've heard and read somewhere that the Twin Spark 8V cams can be used as an alternative "performance" cam for the NORD engine as the lift is around 11.98 for the TS while the 10548 cam is about 10-ish.

I am no mechanical engineer, but I'm wondering if this has been done / CAN be done? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Syed
"Men change gears using the Clutch, Paddles are for Women with high heels..."

MD

I don't believe the cams on the engines are interchangeable. They simply wont fit.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

82Alfetta

Quote from: Sportiva on July 21, 2010, 05:40:16 PM
G'day Syed

The 75TS engine hase a cam variator on the inlet camshaft, I dont know if the distance between the cam lobes or the bearing caps and there diameters has altered between the nord and the TS but
I would think some machine work would be needed to match the TS cams to a nord engine
10548 camshafts were used in 105 and 116 Alfas before Australian standard  86a was introduced in the mid 70's these camshafts were "pre pollution camshafts"..........  blame the Califorians!!!!!!!!    
Australia  adopted  a similar pollution attitude at the time.. as a result performance suffered and not just  for Alfas
The reference for camshafts after 86a was 1053200???
The engines you have in maylaysia might have been different ?? maybe you recieved Australian spec ?
The 10548 is not a HOT cam but compeared to the 1053200 you will notice a change in engine performance  

Cheers Sportiva

Our cars here came standard with 10548 cams :) I was just wondering if the TS would fit (now I know they don't) as it is a lot easier to get a standard TS camshafts in this part of the world... than to get performance cams like kent JK303 etc.

Well, what "hot" cams would you recommend to use with standard Dellorto DHLA40s with trumpets (air horns)? And where can I purchase/find more info on them?

Syed
"Men change gears using the Clutch, Paddles are for Women with high heels..."

Storm_X

cams wont fit.
The TS 16v head can be modified to the NORD enigne.
You could just get your cams re ground.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

john m

Syed, using std. carbs you might want to consider these cams from International Auto. They are brand new with 11mm lift and more duration than 10548s and only US$349 for the pair plus shipping.

http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2494&posid=856279
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

aron

My cams are using TS 8V cams..not sure what my foreman did.... :o But it sure runs way lot faster with that cam..it was done in 2003..if i see the guy again i shall check and see how he did it
Alfa Romeo, the fun starts after 3500 RPM

MD

QuoteThe TS 16v head can be modified to the NORD enigne.

The blocks are virtually the same and the crankshafts are interchangeable but the head bolts are too short on the Nord block. Serious bucks to change them over-especially when they break and they have to be drilled out and new threads made..eeyoow. I dont see the point.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

Quote from: MD on July 23, 2010, 06:48:29 PM
QuoteThe TS 16v head can be modified to the NORD enigne.

The blocks are virtually the same and the crankshafts are interchangeable but the head bolts are too short on the Nord block. Serious bucks to change them over-especially when they break and they have to be drilled out and new threads made..eeyoow. I dont see the point.

if the TS crank goes into the nord is there any change at all ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

MD

Minor change. The nose piece is stronger on the TS to cater for triple gang pulleys. The position of mains and big ends is the same.

A little known fact is that all the cranks from 1600 to 2000cc Nord engines are all interchangeable which in cludes the twin spark engine.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Colin Byrne

I thought that the 2000 had different cylinder spaceing than all other capacity engines to acomodate the larger bore? and then assumed that the crank must be different to suit this?

is this wrong?

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

MD

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

It's been a while since I have had my hands on a 105 crank but I can provide an  of illustration of some differences in the TS and the Alfetta crankshaft nose pieces. The differences are not material as my previous TS race engine has an Alfetta crankshaft in it making 200bhp/160ftlbs torque without any problems at all.

The second illustration is a 1600 crankshaft in a TS block. I wish now I had taken more photos at the time but it should be relatively clear that it is a good fit. I have since received a PM with a photo of a 1750 crankshaft in a 2 litre block which indicates(from the photo) a couple of mm less bearing contact at the pulley and flywheel bearing ends. The centre, thrust and adjoining bearings appear to be good.

So this is a personal decision whether this is material to you or not. Granted its is less than ideal but given that it is load sharing with adjoining bearing positions and the balance of the contact surfaces are still substantial compared to other makes of cars, I don't have an issue with it.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

I have just learned that the 1800 crank will definitely NOT fit. As  I say, it's one I have never tried.  Only seen photos.

Why are they spaced the way they are I do not know exactly.

As has been previously explained, TS camshafts will not fit a Nord head.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

Cannot be installed. Will not fit. Will not align. Square peg in a round hole.
Valve angles irrelevant.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0