New Project

Started by alfagtv152, July 14, 2010, 09:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv152

Hi All,
In January a friend of mine bought an 82 GTV for peanuts and brought it to my place with a view to dismantling it for parts.It was defected for rust and missing all external bits of body work,hatch and all the ancillaries on the motor,steering column,shocks,brake master,instruments,the wiring loom chopped off at the firewall and the boot loom chopped,no fuel tank,filler etc.
After having a good look at it I could see the body was to good too chop up and the rust was pretty minor so it was gifted to me to do what I wanted with.My wife Marlene asked a lot of questions about how come I wasn't cutting this car up and in the end I told her I was going to make another race!,you can guess the initial reaction!!!!!.After a little while she got right behind me as she always does and helped me,I mean real hands on work,including sound deadener removal to make it what it is now.
I have tried to give a pictorial story of it but I don't take many pictures along the way.
It now has a special engine I had hanging around,LSD in the original 4.3 transaxle,164 vented rotors on the front and Commodore brakes front and rear,don't know how they will work yet but they are much lighter than the Volvo's I have on my other car.The inside is gutted for minimum weight but I am still looking for ways to remove weight,got a few ideas yet!.I just installed the original center instrument cluster and will have a shift light,I used a 75 column as they are well made and use only 2 sticks for controls,I rewired the fuse box under the bonnet with every thing operated by relay and the essential switches etc on the center console as well as battery isolator and rear brake pressure control valve.
I decided on a black and silver theme after seeing the wheels!
It just needs a roll cage to finish it off to my requirements and see if I can get it up to speed,still needs some front end development and tweeking as I go.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

alfagtv152

Some more Pics

alfagtv152

Some nice ones!.

alfagtv152

Inside

alfagtv152

A couple under the bonnet

Tristan Atkins

She looks terrific! Beautiful job Alfagtv 152

alfagtv152

Thanks Tristan,
Sorry to be pedantic,I believe these cars are male so I give them boys names,this ones name is "Jack"-Get it?
Cheers
Andrew

Sheldon McIntosh

That's a nice looking transaxle.  Tell us more about the commodore brakes?

Good to see that someone else has a cat that helps out.  My cat loves helping me when I'm working on my cars.

dehne

this looks awesome you have done a fantastic job, maybe this one should go to the hotted up alfas topic,
a question about the air intake how have you found it and can you post a better pic please
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

BradGTV

the car looks great.
i really like the serpent/stipe in the centre of the car as well, really finishes it off.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Mile Jurcic

Hey Andrew,

Car looks great, it has to be one of the meanest looking GTV fronts that i have seen.

All that from a car that was going to be scrapped, well done.

Cheers
Mile

alfagtv152

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words.
Sheldon,the cat weighs 8.5kg and sheds hair like crazy-really loves black race seats!.He is a good budy but he got on the bonnet the other day and I made the mistake of yelling at him!,out with the T cut and Polish.
Dehne,I have the same setup on my Red car and I think it works well,I posted some pics on another topic but I will try to attach something better.
Cheers
Andrew

alfagtv152

Sheldon,
The commodore brakes are just your garden variety commy brakes from about VP to VS,they weigh half of the Volvo's.One piston sliding calliper,the fronts bolt straight up to the standard Alfetta upright-just need to drop the pad about 5mm on the 164 rotor redrilled to 4x98 with an 8mm piece of an original disc face as a spacer between the disc and the hub(same as I do for Volvo callipers).I got a hose made with the Holden fitting calliper end and Alfa hose end where it joins the pipe at the guard.
The rear is also a single piston slider which I bolted to a steel dog bone(12mm thick) to bolt onto the transaxle with a round aluminium spacer 20mm diam,6mm thick which lined every thing up on the standard disc.I am told there was a twin piston front the same fit on a VQ statesman but I haven't checked that out.
The car will have it's first run on August 8th at a fun day so I will see how it goes,I will campaign it full time next year and develop it further then.
Cheers
Andrew

Frank Musco

Looks mean Andrew. The stripe over the center and the serpent looks great.

116gtv

Andrew, so whats the name of your 2 car race team (or did i miss something about your red car being out of action?

you dont muck around, do you -there aint much dash or rear bulkhead left  :o  did you just box in the tank filler hose?

nice mesh job on the front end and rear valance, Nuovas usually look like sh*t when you take the bumpers off..