Race pads

Started by 116gtv, June 24, 2010, 04:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

G'day,

I'm looking for recommendations for brake pads for a road registered, semi lightened 75TS track car on R tyres that wont see much road use other than getting to and from the track. Just curious what you guys use and recommend? I was told Pagid Blues which is what I'll get unless I can find a better front and rear package.

Any brake fluid recommendations also welcome.

Cheers

dehne

im using ferodo's racing pads (the real ones not from supercheap) they are a semi pro pad/ street racing and they wear really well and the car stops great to they are aboyt $300-$400 a complete set
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

John A Pucak

Martin, pagid blues are a good pad. If they can pull up my Alfetta at 200+ per hour at Bathurst and  I can still use the car on the street.

116gtv

thx guys. Dehne, are using 2500 or 3000s?

anyone else using the Ferodo 3000s?

Frank Musco

Also use EBC Pads. Good value for money and not harsh on rotors.

jimnielsen

I am using the Ferodo 2500's on the 155 Q4. They work well and last a long time but cost approx $350.00. On your car i would simply use the Lucas (TRW) pads that many people use on 116 type alfa's. As long as you don't overheat them they work very well, and I have the data to show that they stop the car just as quickly as the Ferodos. They cost about $90 a set for the front. The only problem with them is that if you do take them outside their temperature range, braking performance suffers and wear increases dramatically. I would try them first, simply because if they work well for your car its an inexpensive and effective option.

Also the 2500's need (at least on my car) some warming up time to be really effective...
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

116gtv

Jim, Frank, thanks. Jim, Is there only one type of Lucas pad available?

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Andrew156

Would also suggest the Race Brakes RB74 or Comp 9.

I admit I have never tried them in an Alfa but both were very competent in my V8 Torana race car
'02 Alfa 156 Selespeed Wagon

Colin Byrne

I'm using the DS3000 in my car and have found them to be a fanstastic brake pad compound, I was an ABS calibration engineer for a while and now work on ESP systems, so I have a fair bit of experience with braking systems.  The DS 3000 has an unbelievable good Temp vs Mue  curve from pretty much cold to around 750 deg the friction level stays pretty much the same so on a car that has a well designed brake system you end up with a very consistent brake pedal feel.  The also have a really good initial bite and mine have lasted incredibly well. They are expensive, I think I spent $500 on my set up, but on a car that weighs just under 1000kg with ford vented discs and Volvo callipers up front and standard rear brakes I've got

2 Full Targa Tasmania's
3 6 hour events
And a lot of sprint days inbetween including the PI 2010 weekend

(and I'm not shy about using them!)
Not bad value when you look at it like that
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)