Giulia Super wheel sizes

Started by 116gtv, May 27, 2010, 09:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

G'day,

Having just bought grouchy's super, i was wondering if you Super experts would know if 13" wheels would fit? The tyres on the factory 14s are too big & rub, and a mate of mine has a set of 13" cortina wheels interstate but I doubt they will fit. I'm not that fond of the factory rims, and having a closer look at the body I'm not going to worry about originality... ::)

GTV-074

Martin,

Congrats on the purchase....I had a look too and you sure have your work cut out on that body.....

I have never fitted 13" tyres to a Super but besides the obvious of throwing out the gearing a little I would be more worried about ground clearance.

I think the smaller rims will take the car down a few notches....watch the sump!

I remember getting a set made years ago where more of the offset for the rears (that is where the issue with rubbing is, correct?) inboard. I think I could fit 195/205 under the rear guards the latter with the 'odd' bit of rubbing!

Cheers.

P.S. What are your plans for the car? (mod or leave stock etc.)
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

116gtv

Hi Paul,

I was thinking the 13s may not fit over the front brakes but i guess its a try and see. I know rear guard clearance is an issue.

Not sure about plans yet- wont be a full resto, thats for sure :)  Got to finish another car first but I've spent an hour on her with the some power tools for rust assessment - I've driven rustier Alfas (overseas), so all good. ;D ;D I'm not scared !  ;D

Barry Edmunds

Martin
come to the real world of the Alfisti - those who drive sedans.
Brake caliper clearance would be your major issue with 13" wheels as well as throwing out your speedo accuracy a bit. If you are not using the car on the road that won't be an issue. Ground clearance will certainly be an issue. Otherwise steer clear of speed humps in shopping centres.
The early Supers with Dunlop brakes had 15" wheels, albeit with much narrower tyres than are the norm today. When Alfa went to ATE brakes they also switched to 14" wheels, at least here in Aus.
On my Supers I have had both 14" and 15" wheels without too many problems. As others have said rear wheel clearance can be an issue, particularly on the inside of the wheel whre the inside of the tyre rubs on the inner guard/body.
My current Super has 15" wheels with 195 60 tyres and I have not had any problems todate. Wheel offset can be worked on. Extra wheel clearance can be gained by popping the rear wheel arch out a little which allows you to move the wheel out a little.
Good luck with the project
Barry

116gtv

thanks barry,

so do you run factory 15" steel rims or aftermarket?  Thinking of Pug 205 15" wheels.. ;D ;D

Barry Edmunds

Martin
The wheels are original 15" centres with new 6" rims replacing the old/original 5 or 5.5" rims.

Do some figures before you discount after market/alloy wheels. By the time you find and buy original steel wheels, get them cleaned up (sand blasting etc) and painted you will go close to outlaying as much as you would for a good looking set of alloys.

Make sure you check the offset of the Pug wheels before handing over $$$$. I've heard that there are some early model SAAB wheels that are an option; not sure which models. Same appliers to these in regard to offset. I have a couple of 14 and 15 original steels available if you want to check/measure offset.

Also check the rolling diameter of the tyres. Go for a tyre that is close to the original tyre size. That way your speedo will be close to accurate (well as accurate as Alfas go). If you go too far from original you might also have to change the year yoke in the gearbox and the speedo drive. There are at least three different speedo drive ratios.

Barry