My 2.0L TS 116 Alfa GTV Coupe

Started by Tristan Atkins, April 21, 2010, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Hey Tristan, Your car is looking mighty fine. Is the the same GTV you had about 4 or so years back, if so you have really done very well with it. Congrats!

116gtv

Hi,

just wondering if your conversion write-up is in the pipeline?  ;D Hanging out for any pointers on what to watch out for..

A couple of q's pls:

Whats the advantage of swapping the rack & steering column? Do you still have powersteering?

What have you done about fuel delivery/return?

thx!

Tristan Atkins

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments OzMidnight. If your after that particular type of spoiler I posted a link on the 1st page.

As for Trent's question. Yes it is the original GTV I owned 4 years ago :) How is your GTV going and more importantly how have you been?

Finally I've had a number of people ask, including your question 116gtv, about the write-up for the conversion. Currently I'm away from home with work but I should be on leave in about 6 weeks time. When i get back home I'lll have all the tools I need to get some good photos.

In answer to your two questions: I swapped the rack as the original rack had seen better days. I also wanted the quicker steering ratio. I know its only slighter better, but I don't have to go hand over hand to turn a 90 corner. I could have keep the power steering but decided not to.

As for fuel delivery, I installed a gtv6 tank in the rear as its already a fuel injection tank with baffling and it has a compatible fuel sender. I then just bolted the Alfa 75 fuel pump bracket under the rear, right hand seat. I then connected the gtv6 tank to the pumps and shielded the lines from the exhaust with heat shielding. I also used the 75's fuel lines. Although the 75  has a longer cockpit the fuel lines just run straight under the seats. So in the 116 I just routed them along the right hand passenger sil, using those press in cable ties and then connected them to the fuel rail in the engine bay.

barts

Hey Tristan,

How did you go fitting the front spoiler. Mine arrived some time ago and I'm just getting a chance to have a crack at it now.
It looks quite snug in the pictures but mine seems to sit quite wide on the sides.

Did you have to cut wholes for the brake duct in the front panels under the front bumper attachments?
Did you have to remove the original bumper side mounts?

Any help appreciated.

Dan

massiveluvbuddy67

Well done Tristan. I am in awe of your talent and skills! A beautiful piece of work.
Send me a PM I would like to do an article for the Cross & Serpent on your car.
Cheers
Phil
Editor and Secretary

Tristan Atkins

Hi Dan,

I did remove remove the side bumper mounts. From memory I ground off the face of each mount then drilled the spot welds.

In regards to mounting I used an angle grinder to cut two slots into the bodywork to accommodate the brake ducts. I marked the approximate area then made a small incision . The steel there is quite thin and it was simple to cut.  I then enlarged the slot as required to suit. I also had to remove the lower part of each guard. Again I held the front bar in place and cut as required.

I terms of affixing the spoiler I used "rivnuts" a rivet with a threaded insert. I borrowed the tool off a friend. I then matched drilled the body kit and I used some M6 SHCS to secure the bar to the chassis. This pull's in the kit quite a bit and makes fit.

Let me know if you have any further questions or better yet give me your e-mail and I'll send you some photos.

barts

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for the info. I have drilled out the spot welds and removed the mounts and I have cut one 'slot' for the brakes ducts ... actually thats not true I have cut the same slot slightly bigger three times ... a bit sheepish I think.

I will have to look into 'rivnuts' I wanted to use zsus fasteners but there doesn't seem to be enough real estate.
Really appreciate the heads up you've given me the confidence to get stuck into it.

Any photos would be much appreciated. I will pm email.

Cheers

Dan

Beatle

Hi Tristan,

Very nice work.  What year model is the Alfetta?  

And, how much bonnet clearance do you have?   I looked at a few TS conversions years ago and almost all had some type of bonnet hump or scoop for clearance.

Once again, congrats on the great job.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

julianB

85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

Tristan Atkins

Hi Paul,

Yes the bonnet clearance is an issue.  I played with the engine mounts so as to get the engine to sit as low as possible.  I also had to cut a slot into the center rib of the bonnet.

I'll try to post up some photos this weekend.

Regards,

Tristan

GTVeloce

Hi Tristan

I agree, nice work. I am just finishing off my second GTV TS install and am curious where you got your upper radiator hose from? Mine is a bit of a frankenstein creation and would love to have a neater one mounted.

I have managed to fit the engine in (twice) without any mods or bumps in the bonnet. I even still have the original insulation on it. That said, parts of the engine leave an imprint in the insulation so it's tight, but I've never had it connect with the bonnet.

Cheers
Julian

Tristan Atkins

Hi Julian,

I got the upper hose from REPCO.  I walked in there with some MIG welding wire that I bent to the required shape.  They returned with a hose off a small FWD (I cant remember the make or model, sorry) that had a section that was perfect. I then cut of the rest of the section that I didn't need and then fitted the hose.

Tristan