My 2.0L TS 116 Alfa GTV Coupe

Started by Tristan Atkins, April 21, 2010, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristan Atkins

Hi guys,

I've had a few requests by people to upload some pictures of my TS conversion so here it is. I purchased a damaged Alfa 75 and raided all the parts. I do mean all the parts, engine, uprights, brakes, calipers, steering rack & column. About 80% of the work was carried out by myself on my student budget with the tools I had available. Please let me know what you think?

lombardi

*********************LEGEND***********************************
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Davidm1600

Looks impressive, che bella !!! and I bet huge fun to drive, well done, especially on a student budget, and I recall being on one of those and restoring my Fiat 124 sport. Never easy but the results worthwhile. 

Would be really interesting to see how it goes in comparison to a nord engined 116, as it looks like such a neat installation of the twinnie.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Tristan Atkins

Thanks Lombardi & and David. When I get some extended leave from work I'll be bring her down the track for sure :)

As for the installation, I wanted to keep it as factory looking as possible. Due to the intake plenum shape, the entire pedal box and booster was swapped over for clearance. I also heated and bent the 75 pedal to fit, so that I could use the original throttle cable. I also spent some time deciding how to best route the loom around the bay. Fitting an intake filter posed quite a challenge and this the the two distributor's were located under and the intake plenum. Due to work commitments it wasn't as ideal as I would have liked. However it made it from Melbourne to NSW on its first shakedown, so I can't complain.

This weekend, I'll type up a rundown of how I converted the car.

cheers,

Tristan

prova

Hi Tristan. Thanks heaps for putting up the images the car looks really good. The front spoiler looks very aggressive but in keeping with the feel of the car and the exposed fasteners look great. The sides of the car look really clean and pure without the skirts and protective panels - nice!

What are you doing about front indicators? Also any chance of seeing a shot of the rear? I am really keen to see how you have sorted that out.

Thanks again for putting the shots up.

scuzzyGTV

very nice indeed!
you have done an excellent job, the conversion looks really neat.
i cant wait to read the conversion post(s)
scott
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

alfagtv58

Great work Tristan, I admire your willingness to get in there and have a go yourself.

I also like that the tacho can read 3000rpm while the car is sitting still  ;D ;)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

Hey Phil, that shows just how fast this Red GTV is when parked, one can only imagine how fast it is when going  ;D !!
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Tristan Atkins

Hi Phil,

I've got to get around to fixing that one. I think its the signal wire from the coil to the tacho. Its works from 3 - 6k and I don't have the time or tools here at work.

Tristan

116gtv

that looks stunning Tristan - well done.

Looks very clean without the plastic side mouldings being an early version..

And congrats on the conversion - doing it yourself and all!

scott.venables

Looks great Tristan! What's the front spoiler off? 

Look forward to seeing it at the track

Scott

Tristan Atkins

Hi Scott,

I got the front spoiler from a company in France. http://www.mcracingsa.com/alfaromeo.htm

Hows the 75 going?

Tristan

prova

Hey Tristan just me again. Been thinking about your mods and what an impressive job you have done. You have managed to turn a nice touring/sports coupe into something far more exotic and exciting both visually and I am sure dynamically.

Did you happen to weigh your front and rear bumpers when you removed them? I would be very interested in knowing the amount of weight that you have shed. By the way its been great having your engine sitting by as a spare I have already managed to use some bits and pieces on my car. Hope to meet you in person one day.

Cheers

Ren

Alan Hopla

Tristan,

Very nice.
I especially like the black crackle finish on the cam cover. Must do that to mine when I have to take it off.
A very similar job to what I have recently done, though I didn't swap over the steering rack or column.
I did fit the standard air box, but it took a lot of messing around with cutting the back away to get it to sit OK, and then find somewhere reasonable for the coils.
The only other thing that I did was to fit the 5 stud hubs rather than drill the disks.
They just fitted straight on to the hub spindles, and I just swapped the whole rear de dion.

I too like the tacho 3000 rpm just sitting still.
Look on the bright side, it works at the important end of the rev range:-)

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

Tristan Atkins

Hi Ren,

Sorry I didn't weigh the bumpers when I removed them. They do have quite a solid steel insert, so I guess they would be about 10 kg each.

No worries about the engine, I just didn't want to have it sitting around going to waste when it could be helping someone else with their own project.

cheers,

Tristan