Howdy!

Started by Smity42, April 20, 2010, 03:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smity42

Hi Everyone,

I'm Martin, and I just bought my first Alfa Romeo. I now have this embarrasing itch... :P

So anyway, this is my daily drive for the last few years or so (how many of you know what this is?):

As you can see, she has not been limited to daily driving duties! I've been doing sprint racing at QR and Lakeside for a while now, and last year she took me to victory in the road 8 class of the top gear sprint series :).

This year however has not been so good, I've only gotten out for one round, and I put her into the wall at lakeside :( (360'd under the bridge then into the armco). Fortunately, it wasn't too bad, it could have been much, much worse:

She's all fixed now, but for a while I have been wanting to get more serious and build a dedicated track car, with the entention of moving up to racing (top gear race series, etc.), and this little scare prompted me to go ahead and do it.

So the hunt for a cheap body to build into a racer began.

This little thing came up in the trading post, and really appealed to me:

I've always had a soft spot for the old, RWD alfas. So I grabbed my mate (who is a mechanic at alfa brisbane) and went to look at. Engine was not running (but apparently wouldnt take much to start) and clutch was gone, but I wanted a good base and it fit the bill. The price was right, so I bought it.

It begins...

So we got her home on sunday arvo, and being the petrolheads we are got stuck into trying to get her started, while watching the F1. A short time later, she coughed into life:

I have no intention of keeping that engine, so we didn't waste any more time trying to get it running any better. I believe there is only one engine that belongs in an alfa and that's the alfa V6.

So yeah, that's it so far. The hunt for an engine has begun, and I plan to start stripping her on the weekend.

Anyone know where I can get some of these window bits? (she's almost rust free except for these)

Also, I'm in the hunt for a GTV6 bonnet (prefer fibreglass) and maybe some fibreglass guards as well...

I'm going to go have a poke around now and see what I can learn about making these things handle :)

Cheers,

Martin