'76 GT front brakes

Started by Bob Morey, April 20, 2010, 01:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Morey

Hi guys, I need to replace the front discs on my '76 GT soon.  The car is only used on the road but is occassionally driven quick.  All the calipers have been fully overhauled with TRW GDB 910 pads fitted & new DOT 4 fluid used.  The brakes have still faded a couple of times going downhill when not even used very hard.
Is there an easy bolt on upgrade - GTV6 or other later model.  I'm using std Cromodora wheels.

Thanks

Paul Gulliver

You can use the early model GTV 6 brakes, but remember they are a 5 lug wheel whereas your 4 cylinder GT will be a 4 lug wheel . Can be done but you need to get the hubs re drilled for 4 lug.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Bob Morey

Thanks guys.  How are these brakes better than the original - bigger calipers? vented discs? etc.  What are the year models of GTV 6 I can use?

Yes Paul my GT is a beaut little car even though it is high maintenance (driveshaft couplings!).  It is my daily driver & I also use it for navigational rallies - 800 km over a weekend on country roads is a lot of fun  ;D 

Bob Morey

Thanks Paul, thats really useful, I'll talk to Vin.

I'm in Canberra & do all the events on the Classic Rally Club calender in NSW.  We used to do The Whitten's Forest Classic based around Wangaratta, great country.  Pity the event hasn't been run the last couple of years  >:(

Bob Morey

Hi Paul, the brakes are on the back burner for a week or two.  I had a seat belt issue to sort for a rally next weekend.  The belt is fixed now so in a couple of weeks I will be talking to Vin Sharp at Pace Engineering.

Thanks for the interest guys.

giulia_veloce

Hey Bob.

I will be checking you seat belts on Saturday morning at the start of the rally.

I wont be checking your drivers side one ,but will be paying close attention to your Daughters passenger side seat belt.
I guess I better check it with her strapped in.
Being a scruitineer does have its benefits.= free lunch.

More people should do Classic rallies in their classic Alfas.
Get those classics out of the garage and enjoy them as we do.
Alfas usually do pretty well in the rallies.
Or is that the navigators.-naviguessors
I guess it is a team effort.
He Bob,I hear there are some pretty steep hills this weekend,so make sure those brakes work.
i will talk to you about brake upgrades on Saturday night.

See ya Sat morning in beautifull freezing cold Bowral.

Robert

Bob Morey

Good one Rob.  I'll leave the navigator to deal with you & her seat belt!  Can I get you to check the rest of the car though on Saturday morning?  My usual scrute has gone overseas.

I'll look forward to hearing your advice on the brakes, my existing brakes were scary at the bottom of Jamberoo Mountain last year!