156 - which "auto" to choose? Or 166?

Started by 156, April 18, 2010, 10:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all, I am looking to buy my first Alfa. As it is a second car for the family, unfortunately I need an auto/semi auto. I have read much good stuff about the 156 JTS and what a wonderful engine it has, but I am aware the Selespeed can be a problem. Is the 156 2.5L V6 a good option? Is the semi-auto more reliable, and is there a great difference in fuel consumtion between the JTS and 2.5L? I am looking at 2002-2004 models $10-15k ideally.

Advice greatly appreciated. I'm in W.A. fwiw.
Regards,
Rick.

branko.gt

Hello,
if you want auto get an auto not Selespeed. V6 is excellent engine but will probably use more fuel then JTS. But it is very very good engine and the sound of it on its own would be worth it.
And also if you want auto you choice is v6 only.
so that is easy, get v6 auto and you will not look back.

Davidm1600

Hi, what Branko says is true, and that is coming from a JTS owner but remember this the V6 will cost more to run in the long run than the JTS and while it has a nice engine note, it doesn't actually have a lot more power than the JTS. 

I believe, though have no experience with either, that the later model selespeeds are more reliable ???, but I am glad I didn't need to have such a transmission as the manual is nice.

Good luck in the hunt for your Alfa 156  ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Thanks very much for the replies. I will look at the V6 seriously now, may also expand the search to include the 166.
Regards,
Rick.

ps I will gladly look at really good 156 V6 or 166 cars from interstate if anyone knows of something they could recommend to me. Sub 100,000k, usual things, service history, books, excellent condition etc. Colour is not a huge thing for me, just a nice exterior/interior combo. Ideally 2002-2004 models from what I've worked out at this stage, but I'm open to suggestions.