New Engine Project

Started by jimnielsen, April 03, 2010, 07:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

I am embarking on a 'new engine project' for my 155 Q4. The 'new engine' arrived today. like my car, it has come from Japan. I don't know anything of its history, all really know is that it's "here"!   

I plan on stripping it down, measuring it, seeing what parts I am going to use from it. At this stage, I am  planning to use only the block and head castings and the crank, but that may change as I pull it apart to see what is what. I can tell from the outside that this engine has already had some 'mods', the head has also (probably) been off at least once before.

And - no, the engine currently in my 155 is doing just fine, but having built it I can see that it would be possible to develop a lot more power from these sorts of engines than the current one does, so that is the plan.  I will keep this thread updates as (if) I make progress.

jim.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

jimnielsen

A bit of initial disassembly ..

At least the cam belts and the balance shaft belts are intact, and the engine can be turned over using a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut. So that's good! The tops of the pistons look reasonable, at least as fat as I can tell from looking in the sparkplug holes..
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

redalfaracing

Jim, pardon my ignorance, what engine is it? What do you plan to do to it and why is it different to whatever engine you use now?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

jimnielsen

Its a 16v turbo 2L engine that is common to the Alfa Romeo 155 Q4, Lancia Delta Intergrale and the Fiat Coupe. I plan to use the basic components of this engine to build a racecar engine. like I have already done to the engine that is already in my Alfa 155Q4. see here - http://www.turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6764

but, having had a bit of practice at working on these engines, I plan on doing a better job, this time.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

redalfaracing

How many killer wasps do do plan on getting?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

jimnielsen

There was an engine under all that extraneous stuff!

- greg, I am planning on approx 350 hp at the wheels, so that would be in excess of 400 hp @ flywheel.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Sheldon McIntosh

Looks like there's room for another couple of Alfas in that garage Jim, that's a very poor effort.

jimnielsen

some more disassembly..someone has supplied the engine with ARP head bolts - not standard fitment on this engine.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

jimnielsen

and some more..Also present is a Cometic 2.0mm thick MLS head gasket, again - not standard for the car.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

jimnielsen

and even some more.. In summary, the parts of the engine that I actually need, the block casting, the crank and the two sump sections seem in remarkably good condition. The engine could easily have been run just as it was. The bearings and pistons are all in quite reasonable condition, however they won't be going back into this engine.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

jimnielsen

Paul, the current engine is standard - except for its pistons and rods (which are forged units from Wiseco and Cunnigham). The head is totally stock standard. The turbo is slightly different and the software is different.

What I have planned for this engine is to use the same pistons and rods as in the current engine (because I know they work), but a modified crank, stronger head bolts, different type of head gasket & different flywheel. This time I am planning some modifications to the head, including different type of valves, cams, springs etc.  All this will take some time.

jim..
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

jimnielsen

Pics of pistons and rods that I used in the current engine.. The rods are lengthened, moving the piston pin higher & etc..The new rod/piston combo weighs 1030 grams, the original 1325 grams.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4