Historic GTV105 Race Car preparation wanted Brisbane

Started by Guttsy, April 07, 2010, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guttsy

Looking for a person or workshop in Brisbane to prepare GTV105, 1750 model for Group Sb Engine, gearbox, suspension , diff etc Needs to be reasonably priced and reliable
Any assistance appreciated

Tastarga

Guttsy, i recently (Nov 2009) purchased a 1750GTV in full bitumen rally trim (roll cage/seats/belts, Proflex shocks, 2.0 ltr motor, close ratio g/box and LSD) that had been prepared by Richard Anderson at Avanti in Brisbane.

I bought the car to run in Targa Tasmania, and Richard previously campaigned a Montreal in Targa, which seemed very well set up.

Well, I have just finished the 6 day Targa Tasmania (most of it in pouring rain!) and am pleased to report that the setup in terms of handling/braking/sterring is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC - by far the best competition car I have ever driven. VERY predictible, even over changing surfaces in pouring rain - drives like a Go Kart - VERY easy to drive.I was astounded at how easy it was to drive on the limit - steering "lightens" a bit, talking to you - just backed off the loud pedal, and you could feel it bite - very reassuring to drive fast.

Obviously, I am very impressed with Richard's abilities in setting these cars up. However, this was all done before I bought the car, and as I live in Melbourne, I have no idea how cheap or expensive he is - but it DOES work.

Good luck - they are fantastic little cars.
Alfa 75 Twin Spark (daily driver)
Alfa 1750 GTV Rally Car (Targa Tasmania etc)
Alfa 1750 GTV Road car
Ferrari 365GT 2+2 (Former Targa car)
MG TC supercharged X2 (All purpose fun cars)

Barry Edmunds

Tastarga
Great to hear that your car went well in Targa. Not at all surprised to hear your report about Richard's car prep skills. There are few better than him anywhere and he has the skills, experience and knowledge to make it work.

Anyone who can take a 30 year old car and run the 93 London-Sydney Marathon and finish in the top few outright and then take the same car to New Gunea shortly after and flog the then then current rally aces by winning the event outright, as Richard did, must sure qualify him as someone who really knows how to prepare (and drive) a car to the required standard.

Guttsy. Cost is relative. If you want the best then you have to be prepared to pay for it but I doubt if your could find anyone better than Richard.

MD

Yes the man is a legend.
There is but one snag. Richard has been too ill to work for some time. It's only just recently that he has ventured back into the frey and as far as I know mostly working on his own hobbies. I would doubt very much that he would be fit enough at present to tackle any project work.
That is just my impression and you may care to ask the question directly. I am merely saying this to encourage you to continue the search in case I am right.

Having said that, there may be plenty of people around in Brisbane that would be familiar with makes other than Alfa that could do a good job on them but nobody that I know , knows the whole Alfa rally game specifically like Richard does. Other mechs may build good engines or gearboxes and such but Richard has the holistic focus.

If Richard can't help you, here are a few guys you could approach and test the waters:

Jim Milliner 3856 3883
Paul Geary 3808 3455
Dave Richardson 3290 0899
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

len105

Hi Guttsy
I saw Richard at TT - and he was looking pretty fit to me !! There is no doubt he has a very well earned Alfa reputation in QLD - both as a competitor and as an engineer. He would be my first choice if you are looking for the best advice.......

Hi TasTarga
Saw you at documentation - but after that, couldn't find you !! Glad to hear that you loved the yellow car and had a great time back in Tassie !! Why don't you come Alfa racing at Wakefield in June ??

Guttsy - good luck with your project.
1973 Alfa GTV 105 2000 - silver - tarmac rally/group s car - unfortunately no more

2002 Alfa 156 2.5L - black - also gone to good home

1968 Giulia Sprint Veloce - sad to say this has found a new owner now...

1974 Alfa 2000 105 Cream - road registered & loving it !