Brit Touring Cars

Started by Jimmy Gray, February 08, 2010, 09:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Gray

Everyday driver: 1997 Manual EL Flacon

Track/road/train station: 1983 E21 BMW 318i

Barry Edmunds

Maybe TG should have a look at our V8 taxis for comparison. Not as hairy as the BTCC races of the 90's but Bathurst in the wet might do for starters.
Remember, they tried the European touring car formula here but it never really caught on mainly, I suspect, because the local fans had been raised on a diet of  Ford versus Holden.
Barry

MD

Regrettably the Bathurst racing has devolved to be the equivalent con job of American ringside wrestling.
More sadly still, too many are sucking it up.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Davidm1600

I stopped watching Bathurst years ago, when the changed the format of the race to the usual two horse race.  Bores me stupid now.  Ditto can't be bothered watching the V8 Supercar series for precisely the same reason.  I remember the good old days of Bathurst when they had all the different classes and makes.  That was the Great Race ! but not any more IMO.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

GregSale

I think the ATCC from the 60's right through to the sad end of Group A would hold its own against the BTCC. Remember mini's beating V8 falcons at Bathurst...about '66 from memory, or even smaller cars using less fuel trying to beat the V8's
I think the current stuff is as meaningful as racing Wolsley's !
The V8supercars show what a bucket of marketing money will do for your sport
Back in 1999 or so Toyota offered to join the "supercars" with a then "avalon" fitted up with a small v8 from the lexus stable but they got told thanks but no thanks as it had too much technology (officially it was that it did not conform to the rules)
Thank goodness for old video's and a fading memory
And thanks for the link/post...enjoyed it a lot
2007 Spider Black

ProvaRacing

Quote from: GregSale on February 10, 2010, 10:15:40 AM
I think the ATCC from the 60's right through to the sad end of Group A would hold its own against the BTCC. Remember mini's beating V8 falcons at Bathurst...about '66 from memory, or even smaller cars using less fuel trying to beat the V8's
I think the current stuff is as meaningful as racing Wolsley's !...

Couldn't agree more but don't forget the Alfa 105 GTV almost won Bathurst but for a broken wheel!

In fairness todays boring V8 supercars equalising effect is no different to German DTM and Porsche cup racing, in the case of the latter, at least, they don't try to pretend there is more than one make.

Southern75

The big shame is that they actually market V8's as touring car racing where in fact it is probably closer to sports sedans.

I ask the question does either Ford or Holden make a car with a 5 litre engine ... NO
Does either manufacturer uses a watts linkage rear suspension ...NO

I think that V8's should be more closely aligned to what we could buy .. if not market as a sport sedan type of race and start using 6 litre engines which would reduce costs substantially.

Then ... we need another attempt at the super tourers of the late 90's!

Or how about this... a two make series .. Subaru v Mitsubishi ... that could work!
Rust, nah that's not rust .... its iron oxide!!!

Alfas:
1977 Alfasud ti (race)
1980 Alfasud ti (race)
1987 75 V6 (toy)
2008 147 JDTM (sensible?)

Anthony Miller

Wouldn't it be even cheaper to go the NASCAR route of generic space frame chasis, generic sheet metal bodies, generic hi po engines, and lotsa manufacturer stickers.......oh hang on a bit,...we've already got that...(well almost)....bloody falcadores. Went to PI today and saw some real race cars!! ;D
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

ProvaRacing

Hear hear. Agree with both those views.

Yes not quite NASCAR because the V8 supercars have opening doors...oh and final clincher to make it completely ridiculous is making a falcon and commodore the same wheelbase by cutting out a section on both at the B pillar!!!

spieret

Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

ProvaRacing

Thanks spieret...interesting read.

Just something that made me laugh...  "build a sort of ring-taxi type of vehicle based on the C63 AMG in which Mick Doohan – a superbike champion whose record rivals that of Valentino Rossi – will chauffeur paying customers and VIPs on hot laps around the Philip Island circuit in Victoria".

Ok so he has the same pole positions as Valentino but in every other stat is half the total (not incuding Valentino went from the best bike to the worst and continued to win - Doohan never did leave the dominate bike) so rivals...hardly. And this claim qualifies him for hot laps in a CAR about as much as Daryl Beattie commentating on the F1 :D

PS I think Robin DOHERTY in his Alfa 90 "Taxi" better qualifies for hot laps! Quick car that taxi.

dehne

if you read todays herald sun it tell you that the v8 boss along with mark skaif are trying to make a one chassie fit all and then all other makers of cars will be invited to run their cars even including a rolls royce
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's