1.5 Boxer (Twin Webber) jet spray timing?

Started by Brooke, March 02, 2010, 11:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooke

Hi All,
Well the progression on nutting out why my newly acquired alfa 33 is misfiring is coming along nicely.

Had the air filter and webber heads off today, to check that the jets were spraying like they should.

The right hand set of jets spray with a decent force (assuming this is normal), as soon as the throttle is touched till about half throttle, where they stop the squirt.

The left hand set of jets drizzle fuel out, but only after the throttle has reached its half way mark.
I know that the drizzling is one problem, probably the pump as it is unlikely both jets would be blocked identically (cheap :) ), but is it normal for the two webber jet sets to fire at alternate intervals during the acceleration movement?

Spoke to a mechanic today, he says they should fire at the same time, from as soon as you hit the gas to about half way, spoke to an alfasud driver and he said they should be differed, so one fires after another.

Which is the correct?

Frank Musco

All four jets should fire at same time.

Drivers side looks correct on vid. Can't see second?

Brooke

The misfire has got to be a new record for the easiest Alfa fix in history.

All I needed to do was open my eyes, check the rod that links the throttle cable to both webbers, and see that the arm that links the rod to the valve opener on one weber was missing.

This therefor didnt open one webber, not letting through any air or fuel to that weber.

The jets were blocked but thats rather easy to fix as well.

All running nicely now, tested on a dyno at 85bhp.

Next is to replace air filter, fuel filter, clean out both webbers (was pretty blocked up with black crap on the left one that I dismantled).

Then a full oil change and she's ready for suspension upgrades.

philpot

Ouch! like the  motto 'Always look for the simplest things first' (but sometimes they're the hardest to see....) Good to hear your 33 is running sweetly. Even more fun to drive! Enjoy!!
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti