1983 giulietta gear shift probs

Started by armc89, February 24, 2010, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armc89

i have recently completed an engine and gearbox change over in my giulie after putting it all back together and getting it running properly i let it down off the axel stands and i was ready to take it for a drive. when i went to select first there was a loud rattle coming from the middle of the car. i quickly turned the old lady off and put it back up in the air, after having a look. i saw that the gear shift was rubbing on the tail shaft when first or second was engaged . i sorted that out by moving the gear selector one spline down on the gear box, now at the base of the gear shift where it comes through the floor the pivot point hits on the drive shaft tunnel, just wondering how to fix it? hopefully its an easy one. i know that you guys will be able to help. cheers. thanks for the help. ps im fairly excited to have the old girl back on the road. its been almost a year since i took it out.

Storm_X

i had the same prob man. if it wong go in gear at all you will need to put it in the correct spline.

with the shifter hitting the tail shaft i had that happen to me when the car was under a little stress going around corners or in circles. I just got the angle griner out and smoothed out a bit on the shifter arm.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

armc89

cheers mate. i moved the shifter back up one spline then i used an adjusting bar (jimmy bar) to bend it slightly. it now shifts a treat. i think shiter was slightly different to my old one. thanks for the addvice anyway dude!

Storm_X

what engine you have ??

do you still have a TS motor ?  i still need pistons

armc89

yeah i have them but i really cant afford to split the engine apart if you want the pistons you will have to buy the whole lot.

Storm_X

man you should have told me this ages ago i was sitting around for months waiting and i could have been looking else where.

how much u want for an engine ?

minipete

My 83 Giulietta which I have owned since virtually new always had a really notchy gearchange.  After about 100,000km it started locking me out of 1st, 3rd and 5th from time to time. 

After a couple of times taking the box out to find what the problem was and being unsuccessful I took it to Patrizzi Motors.  It turned out that when they replaced the lever on the box with one from another Giulietta the problem suddenly went away.  It didn't seem to be any different to the original one but it must have a slightly different angle.  It had the problem since new but obviously only played up when there was some wear in the mechanism.

Change has never been better.  The difference between what works and what doesn't on the shift mechanism seems to be very small.  I imagine that correct adjustment would be crucial.

Peter

armc89

storm x i did tell you about two months ago you said the same thing, i assumed you would have found some by now? it was via text message. make me an offer and we can go from there. i can put it on a pallet and get it to a depo somewhere if you need. but if you want it soon let me know as im very busy with work

Storm_X

na ill pass on a whole engine it will cost to much and i only need pistons.

yea it was 4 months ago. from october to start of january u said you will take the pistons out and i was waiting then you pulled out. Thats a extra 2 months i could have been looking else ware.

armc89

well instead of carrying on about it on here go and look for some. id suggest buying the brand new ones off vince sharp the are under $1000