Best Place to Source Basketweave for 1750GTV Mk1 ???

Started by acresci, February 16, 2010, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acresci

Does anyone have any experiences sourcing black basketweave material to re-trim front rear seats for 1750GTV Mk1? I recieved a quote from Centreline Auto in the US - $32/lm + $98US unisured shipping or $232US for secure shipping. I almost had a heart attack with the shipping price. Is there any material floating around in Australia - even the plain black vinyl?

Davidm1600

Hi there, you could always try either Alfaholics or Classic Alfa in the UK, but I suspect that the postage cost once again might be the real killer.  I am not aware of any local suppliers of the basketweave vinyl, but there is probably someone out there. 

Or....you could go an alternative route as I will be doing and re-trim in leather.  Now I know you might say its too expensive or not original but yes it is pricey (approx $1200 for 2 hides) which is what you would require for a complete re-trim, but it is more durable and feels wonderful in comparison to vinyl and actually leather was an option on GTVs. 

I have had the seats in both my '69 Giulia Super and '69 Fiat AC 124 sport re-trimmed with Connolly leather and it is brilliant.  I will do the same for my '69 1750 GTV (series 1), when I am ready to do so.  Just a thought.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sportscar Nut

Hi

I doubt any vinyl is available in Aust and think offshore is your only option.

The basket weave material for 105's is available as mentioned from Classic Alfa/ Alfaholics and costs around 550 pounds (say $1050 with freight) for front & rear seats. Not sure on quality but is advertised as identical to original.

Some 105's have sourced basket weave vinyl from late 1960's Ford GT vinyl that has a 'similar' weave but is not identical (this is easily available from resto places in Aust). Warning, 105 interior restorations are expensive exercises pending how original you want the finish.

I agree that Connolly leather is beautiful in cars (as my Lotus has Connolly) but far prefer 'original interiors' in old cars as all modern cars come with leather and vinyl really shows the age and originality of the vehicle.

Just my thoughts!

Paul

jg1053

bonno

I have sent PM to the individual that raised a recent post in the BUY/WTB/Sell section who is after suppliers of the subject seat material. In addition to the 3 suppliers provided in the PM I sent,  you can add Centerline at the following link.

https://centerlinealfa.com/store?tag=Seats and Upholstery&model=105gtv

Update : Hyperlink  appears not to be working!!!! If you go to the Centreline website, then go to model car Giulia GT and GTV - 1965-74 and then interior and tops then seats and upholstery menu.

bonno

Another option is that black basket weave vinyl material is readily available through e-bay (see link). From the dimensions of the weave material, it appears equivalent to the OEM seating material used back in the day.  I would also speak to your local auto trimmer to see what he/she is available to offer. 
https://www.ebay.com.au/str/luvfabrics818?rt=nc&_bkw=basket+weave+vinyl

Colin Edwards

Blackmans Interior Repair Centre - Moorabbin VIC 3189
Restored a steering wheel for me - outstanding work!
Or New Life Repair Services - Mitcham VIC 3132
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5