1983 gtv 2 lt water pump

Started by drewster71, January 17, 2010, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewster71

Hi everyone
New to the site not new to Alfa's have not done alot of work under the hood but am wanting to save a few dollars and hope to do with the help of manual a bit up & comings, first port of call is water pump, can any one help in regards to if this is a pain in a*** job??
Cheers Drew
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

scuzzyGTV

i agree with storm, its an easy job. i got a new pump from repco for about $65.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Storm_X

wow $65 is a good price.

all u do is unbolt all the bolts that hold the pump in witch some are a little hard to get to. and also undo the water hoses and thats pretty much it.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

drewster71

65 thats an awesome price , best i got was a couple dif alfa places 110 aprox, do i need to remove Alternator adjustor bolts ? am having trouble with one closest to alt, seems to just spin when trying to undo, and is there any bolts under or just those few small ones up top??

Cheers to all for advice and summaries

Drew :)
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta

scuzzyGTV

drew
its been a good 5 or so years since i did it, but i think there were 8(?) bolts around the pump top & bottom and i didnt need to change the dizzy at all.
perhaps the price on the pumps has risen over that time too?
scott
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Colin Byrne

-Shouldn't need to touch the dizzy

-All of the threads holding the Water pump on are studs, so they shouldn't be just "spinning around", sounds like something is stripped, hopefully it is just the nut. the two nuts on the water pump closest to the Alternator are actually threaded onto two long studs that go all the way through the front cover into the block to help seal the main water channel, on some blocks these are actually bigger  (M7 compared to M6, or an 11mm nut compared to 10mm)

-There are indeed nuts all the way around, the new water pump should easily show you where they are

-$110 is an OK price for a local purchase

-This is what happened last time I changed a water pump over
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=717.0
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

drewster71

Thats a bugger and a half Colin, Got mine out all good kept finding nut after nut lol, 9 in total, cpl underneath will be fun putting back on, The bolt that was spinning was one that went on the metal arm to move alternator back so could remove belt but i got there in end to. Replacing the hoses at same  time seems like a common sense thing to do, and replacing the large main belt.
PRESENT
1983 2L GTV
PAST
1977 Alfetta