Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Edwards

Geez Evan,
You've done pretty well on crutches!  HTF did you bust your ankle?
The cars looking a treat.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Evan Bottcher

I've supervised the work being done to our car from my crutches :)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on June 19, 2017, 03:10:19 PM
And finally the current state with hundreds of little under-bonnet details completed.  It will start this week!  First time since 1999.
great job Evan it is great to see it back togerther LOL i was the last person to have the car running in 1999 at Dom's

LukeC

Looking great, but please... that scuttle drain hurts my eyes. A proper one is under 15 beer tickets from Classic Alfa!

Or about three metres of something very similar in the plumbing section of Bunnings for $30 and have the rest for your mates.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Luke, but I believe the rubber hose (a very specific hose that flattens at the lower end) is correct for this early mk1 1750 GTV. Happy to be corrected, I can check my references.

Sorry for hurting your eyes, it's probably not the only thing you'd find insulting if you look closely.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

LukeC

I am always willing to be corrected by someone that can back up their knowledge. However, my aging memory tells me that hose is off an Alfetta sedan or GTV. Was a common thing to do once upon a time. Even I have used them.

Here is a picture of a one owner '68 build 1750 GTV that I recommissioned early last year. The only person that has ever performed major work on this car is me. You can see the grey corrugated hose.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Evan Bottcher

Hmm, need more data.  Attached is what I can find in the '68 parts manual - bottom right hand corner marked (1) I think is the drain hose, doesn't appear to be corrugated.  Matches up to what seemingly knowledgable people (particularly papajam on the alfabb) have claimed as well.

Anyone else have memory or another reference?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

LukeC

Can't call it either way on that parts diagram. It shows a non-corrugated pipe, but no molded end. I have sent a PM the Rob Panetta for his input.

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

giulia_veloce

Hi Luke and Evan

Just my opinion of over 35 years playing with Alfas,customer cars.

Series 1 1750 and models before 1969 has what Evan has got = black rubber hose.
Series 2 1750,,some had the same,and some had the grey convoluted plastic hose.
All other models before 1968= 1600 ,1300 etc had black rubber hose.
All model 1750 series 2 and 2 litre after 1969 had grey convoluted plastic hose.
Good discussion,,but I would not let him lose any points at a Concours due to a changeover year period.

Papajam is a great source for originality,,but some things are different between Australia and America and RHD and LHD

Luke,,I would say Evan wins this time for a Series 1 1750...And I know you are very knowledgeable on all things 105 Alfa.
The Parts book shows 1 hose for all models including 2000 105s,which I deem incorrect=

Just an opinion.
Im sure Tony McKone would agree with me on this one.

Let the discussion begin

Robert

LukeC

No argument from me. Love learning any new about Alfas.

Hey, I learnt the other week that some 75s have 5.5" wide wheels. I always thought they were 6.5"s...

Off the top of your head Rob, what is the part number for the wing nut for the drivers seat headrest on a series 1 1750 GTV?  ;)
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Evan Bottcher

Thanks chaps, I really wasn't sure.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

rowan_bris

Luke 6.5 on 3.0 litre 75s I think.  Ps I am quite sure the rubber hose is right for a series 1 1750

giulia_veloce

Quote from: LukeC on June 22, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
No argument from me. Love learning any new about Alfas.

Hey, I learnt the other week that some 75s have 5.5" wide wheels. I always thought they were 6.5"s...

Off the top of your head Rob, what is the part number for the wing nut for the drivers seat headrest on a series 1 1750 GTV?  ;)

From the top of my head Luke,,I have no idea.

giulia_veloce

Hi Luke..

Drivers seat did not have an adjustable headrest on a 1750 series 1
The passenger seat did

Evan,,your car is coming along real well.
Slow process putting it all back together,,but the end result will be rewarding.
Likeing all the NOS parts you are fitting and the cleanliness.

Looking forward to the future articles

LukeC

QuoteDrivers seat did not have an adjustable headrest on a 1750 series 1
The passenger seat did

Exactly!

Yes looking great: Ready for Spectacollo? I think I will come down again.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au