Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Today Fiona and I extracted our '69 GTV from a farm shed.  Under a good tarp it really looked exactly the way we left it 6 years ago!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

Evan, it looks fantastic......what are your plans for it ???  Look like an ideal candidate for Group Sb ;D
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

branko.gt

What are the plans with the car?
I hope you are planing to put an engine into it ?

Group Sb would be a good thing for that car!

Scott Farquharson

I've heard stuff like "good road car" and "restoration", but I'm with you guys - Group Sb!!!
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

Cheeky buggers.  :P

This one's actually Fi's and is definitely going to be the road car.  It's all there and proper and accounted for with all the brightwork and little fiddly bits.  It needs a reasonable amount of bodywork done though so might take a couple of years to do it slowly.  The motor's in storage elsewhere waiting for some attention.

Sorry guys... we're sticking with the Sudsta.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Evan Bottcher

Fi, Jack, and I started pulling the interior out of the GTV today, especially to get the carpets up and have a look at the floors.  The dash and consoles were out years ago.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Once all the carpet and felt stuff is lifted up the floors don't look too bad to me.  I guess we should take up all the body deadener and make sure it's all sound underneath.  Any opinions?

Took the door trims away also and both doors are just destroyed.  The left hand door frame has been really poorly repaired at some stage, and the right has huge rust holes in the bottom of the frame you can poke fingers through.  Anyone got any doors?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

I expect there's a fair bit of work to be done to the sills on this car, you can see a fair bit of rust in the rear part of the RH sill top and into the B pillar.  I figure if that's what we can see then it'll be bad news underneath.  There's signs of a couple of average repairs in the past.

Yes... this car DOES have sentimental value.

I'd like to keep putting photos up here as we go, sorry that it's YET ANOTHER 105 restoration but it's all fun and new for us.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Oh and I got the details of the car's manufacture from the Archivio also.  I love these guys...

---

Dear Mister Bottcher,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1451729, originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 GT Veloce RHD (105.45), engine series AR 00548, manufactured on the 17th December 1968 and sold on the 21st December 1968 to J. Wright & Sons from Melbourne, Australia.
The body colour is hawthorn white (AR 013), with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
       Centro Documentazione

Antonio Magro
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

alfagtv58

Evan & Fi,

Keep those photo's rolling in!  If you are planning on this car being a road car, then I wouldnt bother lifting the body deadner unless you have to for rust repairs.....As for the sills etc, contact Geoff Unsworth, he makes replacement sills for 105's (and after the rust in my Alfetta, he makes sills for these too now!!).

It's great to see another 105 being lovingly restored  :)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Phil!

I figure that if any rust is present in the floors under the deadener then it should be obvious without stripping it bare.  Guess I'm just worried about what might be invisible?

Merry Christmas all!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Random photos...  slow progress pulling bits off this car.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Colin Byrne

QuoteI figure that if any rust is present in the floors under the deadener then it should be obvious without stripping it bare.  Guess I'm just worried about what might be invisible?
Just be careful Evan, make sure the deadener is all factory, and from the first lot of photo's your floor looks pretty good actually, if it is then your probably all right but if there looks like there is patches of deadener that have been put on latter then you have to see what's underneath.  Just to scare you here's a photo of  the repair to my passenger foot well.  When I first lifted the carpet up I was amazed at how good the floor was,  then I started to get rid of the deadener and found all sorts of crazy stuff underneath.
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Evan Bottcher

I haven't posted any photos in this thread in ages.  This is some work I did a couple of months ago pulling bits off.  I have a tendency to go nuts with the digital camera and take a million pictures for reference.  I then have been bagging things and marking them with tape and felt-tip pen.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV