Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

I pulled one spring out tonight using the 'threaded rods' technique.  I should have listened to the advice of the alfabb and got a ratcheting spanner - it's a slow and boring process without one.

Bottom of the spring pan looks pretty average - how do you clean these up?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Underneath all that dirt, it's a koni!  There's a pair of yellows on the rear as well.

Can anyone tell me what colour the original fitment shockers were?  I'm actually going to look for all the correct colours and plating for the suspension bits - not sure I'll go that far still, but I'd like to know.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Evan Bottcher

So I finally broke something.  Couldn't get the handbrake cable out from the bracket under the floor and broke the bracket trying.  Something to weld up I suppose.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

One of my favourite things about the 1750 GTV is the main instruments - two large pods very attractive.  Years ago I pulled these apart and dusted inside and cleaned up the glass - the bezels need a polish, but otherwise they look fabulous.

From memory the odometer was not working, and the trip meter definitely does not reset (the cable is cracked around the reset button).  I'll have to look into getting it repaired, or get another one.  Any suggestions?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

AikenDrum105

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 01, 2011, 11:01:14 PM
... got a ratcheting spanner

Hi Evan,

I did it once manually on the duetto, learnt my lesson - geez that's hard work,   and for the Super sprung for a cheapie air ratchet from Super-Cheap.

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 01, 2011, 11:01:14 PM
Bottom of the spring pan looks pretty average - how do you clean these up?

I used degreaser, pressure washer and then sprayed with bumper coat - same for all the suspension stuff.    Came up looking like this (shameless plug): http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1963-1974/171691-66-super-resto-melb-oz-2.html#post933802

Powdercoating looks great and is heaps more durable  - but dips into the resto budget a bit...

Oh - re the Spica shocks - I just took an original (hosed) set out of the Super - they looks exactly the same as those posted in the link - you're welcome to them if they're any good to you - was going to recycle them in the Sims bin at work :)

Love reading this thread - I had a '71 1750 gtv in Verde Muschio a while back,   Been driving a friends run-down dark blue 1750 gtv while I get the Super roadworthy...  It's been touch and go - spending more time keeping the blue beast running than working on the super some weeks...

Cheers,
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Scott - I'm surprised anyone's enjoying reading this but it's therapeutic for me.  Feels incredibly slow because even at best I only get an hour or two in the garage at a time, and I'm a numpty so I have to stare at things a long time to see how they come apart.

A bit more progress tonight towards getting the car to the body shop.

The pedal pivot has a lot of play, will have to do some research on how to resleeve it.  Even old cars like this have hundreds of parts, I keep turning around and there's another part to remove.  The passenger grab handle is in good condition, just needs replating on the end parts.  The handbrake is also in very good condition, the teeth that lock it in place are all sharp.

Off-side front spring is out – I wanted to remove the rear discs/hubs to detach the handbrake mechanism but the screws are stuck.  Should have asked Santa for an impact driver for Christmas?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: aggie57 on January 02, 2011, 03:24:17 AM
Evan - most likely black Spica units like these:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/101298-fs-spica-shock-absorbers.html

Alister

Thanks Alister.  So what do the concours guys fit?  I might just look for a set of koni yellows so at least the front matches the back...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

alfagtv58

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 03, 2011, 10:41:32 PM
Thanks Scott - I'm surprised anyone's enjoying reading this but it's therapeutic for me. 

Are you kidding me, I'm loving this thread (and the other associated ones, like how to shine up shiny bits).

I'm currently pulling apart my 'spares' car and am finding all this very helpful and motivating.  I must admit, I am not finding all the usual 30+ years worth of dirt though.  I was very lucky that the car I bought was restored in the not too distant past.....it has been a real pleasure and surprise.

I probably should start my own thread  :-[
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

aggie57

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 03, 2011, 10:44:49 PM
Quote from: aggie57 on January 02, 2011, 03:24:17 AM
Evan - most likely black Spica units like these:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/101298-fs-spica-shock-absorbers.html

Alister

Thanks Alister.  So what do the concours guys fit?  I might just look for a set of koni yellows so at least the front matches the back...

Sorry Evan, I don't know.  Those spica units are pretty average compared with Koni's or Bilsteins.  Even when the cars were new many people swapped them out.   Reds at the front and yellows at the back makes some sense given the typical set up is stiffer at the front but then both can be rebuilt and revalved so what they are now may not be what they were when new.

If Top Performance did that there would be some numbers and a date inscribed on the bottom of the shock.  The number is their reference and the date is when it was done.

Hope this helps.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 03, 2011, 10:44:49 PM

When it's finished are you going to spend more time have more fun driving it or having people look underneath it?

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

branko.gt

Quote from: aggie57 on January 04, 2011, 09:02:46 AM

...   Reds at the front and yellows at the back makes some sense given the typical set up is stiffer at the front but then both can be rebuilt and revalved so what they are now may not be what they were when new.
I thought yellows were harder "sports" and reds are standard, so yellows front - reds back would be a 105 thing? Or have i mixed up my colours  ???

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Branko Turk on January 04, 2011, 11:37:05 AM
I thought yellows were harder "sports" and reds are standard, so yellows front - reds back would be a 105 thing? Or have i mixed up my colours  ???

I was thinking the same thing.  I suppose they could be revalved but more likely were added at different times and randomly selected.

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on January 04, 2011, 10:37:26 AM
When it's finished are you going to spend more time have more fun driving it or having people look underneath it?

This isn't going to be a full concours restoration, just a very tidy car to be used regularly - I don't have the skills or patience to keep a car in concours condition.  Mostly this is just my nerdy curiosity to know what is original.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Anthony Miller

Surely a man of your skills Evan could reproduce the spica lables and attatch them to some freshly black painted konis?  ;)
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)