Our very own "barn find"...

Started by Evan Bottcher, November 26, 2006, 11:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Thanks all for replying - sometimes I follow up offline and forget to post a thankyou even just for encouraging words or advice.  Much appreciated.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Received the first shipment of panel repair sections from Classic Alfa in the UK. 
http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/01/1750-gtv-%E2%80%93-january-2011-8/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: cjheath on January 07, 2011, 11:10:38 AM
Remove any old sealing compound before going over it with fine steel wool (I use 0000).

Dumb question - where does one find steel wool graded e.g. 00 or 0000 these days?  Bunnings?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Davidm1600

Hi Evan, the panels look good and for sure will make a huge difference to your GTV's restoration.

Re: where to get steel wool, for sure both Bunnings and Mitre 10 stock such grades, albeit that 0000 can be a little difficult to get in larger quantities.  A real pain in the arse, given I use this liberally when french polishing/restoring antiques.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

vin sharp

Evan, re the bootlid badge; I've had three Series 1.0 1750s over the years, all with no recess for the badge. The badge just sits on the surface, located by its two prong holes. The first car was only 8 years old and definitely had its original bootlid as attached on the production line, as I was the one to undo the virgin bolts to remove it. Both the others also had matching original paint etc, so no reason to suspect ever being changed. These were all early cars with crossover air filter, not the Series 1.5 with the later barrel type on the carbs and firewall coil mount.
I would suspect that as time progressed and recessed badge bootlids came on stream, whatever lid was next in the parts bin was used....
Never seen the door handle gaskets on them either, but I do hate the thought of the metal handle biting into and through the new paint!
Vin.

Evan Bottcher

Thanks Vin,

"Series 1.5" is a new one on me - ours has the barrel air cleaner (not cross-over) and the bracket on the firewall for the coil, so I guess it is a 1.5 as you say.  I ended up buying a new reproduction boot lid with no badge recess (shown in attachment - covered in vegemite it seems, or seeing as it came from England I guess it's marmite).

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

In a sorting mood.  Hundreds of zip lock bags with fasteners and small bits.  Getting all the shiny bits together to be re-chromed and polished as required.  Bloody hot in the garage tonight...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

These headlamp grilles are kind of cool, but I'm unlikely to put them back on.  Of interest to anybody?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hey mate.
I am interested in them.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Evan Bottcher

Steering wheel plastic centre – I bought this replacement centre badge a while back from Mt Carmel Spares.  It's definitely not an exact replica, not quite as thick.  Should be fine though.  Can I polish out the scratches in the plastic somehow?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on February 02, 2011, 10:57:39 PM
Can I polish out the scratches in the plastic somehow?

I think that's most unlikely. It looks like crazing, surface cracking penetrating into the plastic.

Evan Bottcher

Some minor bits done - car is going to go to the sandblasters to clean up the engine bay and a couple of other spots.  There were some non-standard holes in the RH inner guard – three for an aftermarket horn bracket, the other four I'm not sure.  They're now filled.  The battery tray removed, and the expected holes in the chassis rail welded up.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Last couple of panels from Classic Alfa.  The boot floor on mine would need quite a few patches made, so went for fresh metal.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Received another box of small parts from Classic Alfa in the UK.  New door handles and rear window latches are very pretty indeed.

http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/02/new-bits-9/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Also received some fantastic NOS and used parts thanks to Robert Panetta at Manning Motors (Sydney).  Rob is clearly a first class hoarder.  NOS Carello front indicator lenses and reverse light lens.  NOS LH front indicator assembly.  NOS inner and outer headlamps correct Carello for the mk1 1750 GTV.  Those are all going to look fantastic.

http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/02/new-and-old-bits-10/

I find the NOS stuff so nice, can't quite describe why.  The indicator lenses are in original unopened bags.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV