Alfa Romeo 105 Step Front Fibreglass Bonnet - Group Order??

Started by njh1964, October 14, 2009, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh1964

I've been corresponding with Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass here in Melbourne about the possibility of their making a fibreglass bonnet for my 105 step front.

Apparently, it will cost between $1,000 and $1,500 for a mould to be made, and then between $450 and $500 (per unit) for fibreglass bonnets to be made from the mould.

If there are others in Oz who may also be interested in a fibreglass bonnet for their 105 step front, I'm thinking we could get together to share the cost of the mould, and then we can each purchase bonnets from Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass.

The more the merrier would be good so as to share the cost of the mould. Deposits would need to be paid before work commenced... but the unit price is pretty competitive compared to shipping bonnets from overseas.

I've attached photos of Audi A4 fibreglass bonnets produced by Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass... let me know if there is any interest.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
1968 Alfa Romeo GT 1300 Junior - Complete Restoration Project
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Twin Spark - Track Day Car
Previously:
1974 Alfasud TI - First Car

JOHN G

I have some questions

Who's donating the bonnet for the mould will it get ruined in the process?

Who owns the mould ?

How many bonnets can be made from one mould?

Approx how heavy will  the bonnets be ?

Are the bonnets for the road or track (I assume standard mounting points, standard bonnet)

Can the same mould be used for Fibreglass, Carbon Fibre, Kevlar, Carbon-Kevlar ?

Thanks
John.
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

njh1964

Hi John,

Good questions...

1. I will donate my bonnet... it has rust along the front edge, but it fits nicely and is straight. Apparently, they will need to body fill the bonnet, block it back, check it for straightness and then spray it with 2pack primer. It would then become the "plug" from which the mould would be made.

2. Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass would own the mould, but I will suggest to them that if they manage to sell additional bonnets (ie after supplying bonnets to those who intially funded the cost of the mould), then those people should recieve a rebate for an agreed number of any additional bonnets they sell.

3. As I understand it, the mould is reusable multiple times, but I will check to see if there is any limit.

4. Not sure on the likely weight, but it would have to be significantly lighter than the standard steel version.

5. I would want my bonnet to have the standard hinge and latch fitting points. I believe they insert steel plate sections into the fibreglass at these points with tapped/threaded holes to take the original hinge and latch fasteners/bolts. I guess if you wanted to use bonnet pins for track use, it would only be a matter of drilling the necessary holes through the bonnet and mounting pins to the body.

6. I will check to see if carbon fibre/kevlar/etc is a possibility... like the way you're thinking, by the way.

Regards,

Nick
Now:
Previously:

Stuart Thomson

From my experience with getting things made in composite materials...

1 & 2. If you pay for the mould YOU own it, not them.  If they want to retain the ownership of the mould then they pay for the manufacture.  It's your bonnet you're donating, I wouldn't stand for this.

3. Unless the really stuff up the mould would be able to be used more times than you would ever need.

4. Really light, fibreglass is probably the lightest material, but lack rigidity.

5. Doesn't matter, just drill it if you want to fit bonnet pins.

6. Almost certainly could be used for Carbon composite materials.  Kevlar is heavy, and is not necessary for this application, there is a shortage of carbon fibre ATM, so expect the price to jump considerably.

If you want I have a friend who make the Kevlar undertrays for GTA's (156), who would be able to do this, possibly cheaper.  Be warned though he's a perfectionist.

Cheers
Stuart

njh1964

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the feedback... and in terms of a general update:

1. I'd need to get my bonnet into shape for use as the plug for the mould, but I can look after that if there's enough interest.

2. If we can get at least 5 committed purchasers (ie willing to pay a deposit on their bonnet order), then Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass is willing to make the mould, at their cost.

3. You're correct... Alfa Motorsport confirms that the mould can be used multiple times, if maintained correctly.

4. Alfa Motorsport expects that a fibreglass bonnet would come in at less than half the weight of a standard steel bonnet.

5. As already covered, a fibreglass bonnet could be drilled for pins, if desired.

6. Carbon fibre and/or kevlar bonnets could be made (saving an extra kilogram or so), but they would be significantly more expensive, and if you're after the "cosmetic look" of carbon fibre, that's not something Alfa Motorsport will do... but I don't think any of us Alfisti are really into the boy racer/drift car look in any case... are we??  ;D

Regards,

Nick
Now:
Previously:

Nick Shardey

Nick,

Call Vin Sharp (03.9844.0147) I spoke to him about 12 months ago regarding a boot and bonnet for mine. He has done them in the past but his Fibreglass guy had gone awol, perhaps you can work something out.

Shards
64 105 Track Car (under resto now)

vin sharp

I have just recently done new moulds for both style bonnets and bootlids, all using standard hinge points. Also GTAm flares from an original A/delta set from 1970.
Contact me if interested.
Vin.