Paul Newby from NSW

Started by Evan Bottcher, July 14, 2006, 10:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Hi folks,

NSW Club member Paul Newby shared these photos of his 1.8 Alfetta GT which he runs in Group S.  Paul is also secretary of the Group S Racing Association (www.groupsracing.org.au).

Here's Paul's blurb on that site:

"Paul Newby
1975 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT (Colour - Periwinkle Blue Metallic) Race Number 31
Purchased 1998 ((Fourth owner) as a wreck & built up over two years into race car. (Superspinted in various other Alfas from 1998 onwards). First race was in Alfetta GT in 2000, first Group S Historic race in 2001. Outright and Class (under 2 Litre) Sc Champion in 2002 (beating the Porsches ....). Crashed at Eastern Creek in 2003 & rebuilt over 18 months. Back on track in 2005 & second in class in Sc under 2 Litre."
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

... very nice photos - thanks Paul.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Paul Newby

Thanks Evan for posting my photos. To think that I have my own thread....  :)

Seriously though, there were a few people who initially questioned my rationale when I was building up my GT for Group S back in 2000. These people were putting in coil-over front suspensions and fibreglass panels, etc. I always had an interst in Historic racing and took my inspiration from the Group S Lancia Fulvias who used to drive their registered cars to the track. Colin Wilson-Brown's 1750 GTV was also an inspiration.

Now the photos:
1,5,6 - sans bumpers at a wet Oran Park GP circa 2001
2,3,4 - Phillip Island Classic in 2003
7 - Eastern Creek in 2001 with a Fiat 124 Coupe following (I beat this car to win my class that year)
8 - Wakefield Park in 2002 during the Hopwood 100 (km) race. I finished 8th out of 22 starters. (The following year I broke the clutch on lap three...)

Cheers
Paul
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Paul Newby

Seeing that I've got my own thread here, might as well use it .... ;D

I read with interest regarding your own "Regularity" 6 Hour Relay, and I believe that our own AROCA President Brad Wilson was down there, taking notes ....

Our AROCA 6 Hour Classic still runs to the tried and true formula where you need logged race cars and NC or PC licences. Its been like this since it started and team numbers have been slowly dwindling. This year only 17 teams met the starters lights.

One of them was Team Alfetta Allsorts consisting of two Group S Alfettas (my GT and Steve Smith's GTV) plus two Alfetta sedans, that will in time morph onto Group S GTVs.

I've written a detailed story, which you can find on our Veloce website: -   http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/VeloceRacingAssociation/

But briefly, we managed to finish 6th on handicap, which is not bad for a bunch of 6 Hour virgins (yours truly being the only past participant.) My GT ran like clockwork all weekend with 21 laps in practice and 50 laps in the race. Urs Muller dod 61 race laps, but had an eventful practice when he blew an oil filter seal, spun on his own oil and started a grass fire. The Smith GTV overheated in practice and then broke a throttle linkage in the race and was stranded out on the track. Also stranded on the track was Danny Gatto's Alfetta with electrical woes after only 6 laps.

We had the only Group S cars in the race, all the other Alfas being a mish-mash. Other prominent marques were BMW / Mini, Porsches and Lotus - all who were much quicler than us, so it was a case of watching the mirrors. But it was fun.  :)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Scott Farquharson

Paul,

Not sure if you are online, but thought I would ask for an update on NSW numbers for PI.  How are you all going?

SF
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)