Air filter replacement on Alfa 159 3.2

Started by alfagtv100 (Biggus), August 10, 2009, 12:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi all,

I replaced the air filter yesterday with an Italian BMC jobbie.
I am completely prepared to be shot down in flames over what I am about to write.
Its seems to have actually made a difference to the performance of the car.  The throttle response feels somewhat sharper and I have noticed an increase in torque across the rev range.  The general feeling is like the car has been serviced and 'optimised', for want of a more suitable description.
I completely appreciate that people who spends $120 on a filter, would convince themselves that there 'must' be an improvement in performance.  ;)
However, in this instance, I feel it may have actually resulted in a genuine (and cheap) performance improvement.
I would love to hear people's opinions on the merits of aftermarket filters.
Did I mention, its Italian.

Cheers,

Marco.

Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

shiny_car

would be nice to have before/after dyno graphs, but that usually isn't practical for people.

i have fitted aftermarket filters into various cars. am thinking about the dry foam Autodelta one for the 159 3.2. i have the same model filter in my GT 3.2. i dyno'd the GT before/after at Beninca, with no significant change.

honestly, i think they have merits, but don't increase power/torque to the degree it is noticable. still, i don't dismiss your findings because it must depends on what car/engine it is. just that i wouldn't buy one with the expectation of tangible increases.

however, i justify them because:
*i usually add other mods (eg: exhaust upgrades), which collectively may lead to improvements, and don't want the filter to be a weak link
*they are re-usable and cleanable
*they can significantly improve induction sound (for the better)

tell me more about yours:
*fitment: was it a bumper-off job? that's the info i've been given, but have yet to have a close look
*has the sound changed?
*where did you buy it from?

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Fitting was easy as I was lucky enough to have access to a hoist.
You need to remove the front under tray – lots of bolts and screws.  You then have access to the half dozen bolts of the filter cover.
No noticeable difference to the induction sound.  Unfortunately.
I bought it at Carwear.  They specialize in German car stuff but ordered the filter for me.
http://www.carwear.com.au/findus.html
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

shiny_car

Quote from: alfagtv100 (Biggus) on August 14, 2009, 12:19:41 AMYou need to remove the front under tray – lots of bolts and screws.  You then have access to the half dozen bolts of the filter cover.

ah, cool. i would be quite happy to do that (with axle stands though). so i'll put a filter on the list for future mods.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey