Historic Group S - Alfa Group S Challenge - Get Involved!

Started by Scott Farquharson, June 07, 2006, 03:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Farquharson

Thanks Vin, pretty good value for two bob.

The thing I like about the class is that as Alfa owners we have a lot of options to race in a class where we are COMPETITIVE and without spending an absolute bundle.

I think this is the only class were an Alfa (and an old Alfa at that) can race competitively.  I know there is Group N but the eligible cars are limited to 105's (which is good anyway) whereas Group S is open to Alfetta's, 105's and older.

This is an absolute no-brainer.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Fast Eddie

agree... now, can MALVERN MS sponsor me?  where do i sign? ;D
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

Surely the sale of the Sprint would release more funds than could ever be needed for a Group S car.....I mean its a classic!
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Scott Farquharson

No sedans are eligible - it is production sports cars so you need only 2 doors.  I will put all the rules up on the sire this week.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

a sharp

Scott when are these guys going to get it
4 DOORS = TAXI
2 DOORS = Real RACE CAR

Evan Bottcher

What does a SUZUKI Grand Vitara = please Anthony?  Isn't it time you got an Alfa?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

branko.gt

what a silly question, it is quite obviously a truck wannabe !  :P

a sharp

Evan in reply to your quote "Isn't it time you got an Alfa?" I already have one please see extract from Club Register

Year  Make            Mod   Color  Reg         Cap     Eng #              Body#                  Ser   Date of purchase 

1977 Alfa Romeo    GTV   Red    AHI338    2000    AR01623019669  AR116370002271  116  1982

Member#   Name

796       Anthony Sharp

Please note date of purchase 1982 this means I have owned this car as a Junior Member of the club.

As for what SUZUKI Grand Vitara= Flyfishing car. Since the average mug can now manage to get his 4wd with 10" ground clearance into most of the trails that me and my brothers used to take our Alfas with 4" ground clearance, it has become a nessasary evil to have a 4wd to find a quite section of mountain stream to flyfish.

Evan Bottcher

Oh I'm sorry Anthony I didn't finish my sentence "Isn't it time you got an Alfa BACK ON THE ROAD?"  :P

Perhaps if Alfa ever build the Kamal?

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: a sharp on July 13, 2006, 06:37:16 PM
Scott when are these guys going to get it
4 DOORS = TAXI
2 DOORS = Real RACE CAR

Well said!!  It is obviously some sort of mental disorder.  Wonder if there is medication available.......

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Paul Newby

Quote from: vin sharp on June 13, 2006, 10:49:23 PM
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd chuck in my two bobs worth on Gp S.
As far as eligibility goes, as I understand it, a vehicle has to be accurately REPRESENTATIVE of a model, not actually an absolute original car of that model. I believe that actual chassis type numbers are not an issue.
For example, with a step-nose 1300 you could update to a 1600 engine. Or, with a 1600 Junior and 1750 you could update to a 2000 engine, IF you also change the all the appropriate grilles, lights and other trim details that belong to the model capacity you wish to change to.
So you are not really stuck in no-man's land if you don't actually have the most competative model at hand, although it makes for a lot less mucking around if you do!
While most people think of a 2.0 as an absolute must, there are several 1750s and 1.8s going just as fast (and faster sometimes) as most of the 2.0s.
Paul Newby's 1.8 Alfetta in NSW is one case in point. The engine is bored to 1830cc, 45mm valves, 11.5:1  comp, 45mm webers etc. Makes a good 175 hp and goes about 3 seasons between ring/bearing/valve spring rebuids. The gearbox is one of my hybrid close-ratio mods using a T/S as a base mixed with other model gears. The suspension is all the usual 116 type set-up; bigger torsion bars, springs, swaybar, knuckle-risers etc. All known quantity stuff.
The point is that it competes very successfully against the 2.0 cars, with trophies to prove it.
  In QLD Manuel Pena, and in WA Josh Copeland both have the same success running 1750 105s.
These are examples of sensible evolutionary (rather than revolutionary) development in modifications of areas that return positive on-track results against theoretically superior larger cc cars....do not despair, all is not lost if you don't have what you think you need!       

Thanks Vin for the plug. I never saw this the first time I ventured here. But it is all true.

When I started building up my Alfetta GT in 1999/2000 there were a few perplexed faces wondering why I didn't go down the path of coil-over front suspension, Twin Spark engine, fiberglass spoilers and slicks etc. A few contemporaries built up cars like this that are now in no-mans-land category-wise.

Well, I have always been a supporter of historic racing for as long as I've been interested in racing. The chances of me being able to afford and running a pukka historic car were practically none. I had seen how Lancia Sport had a number of competitors in Group S who drove their cars to and from the track. Also Colin Wilson-Brown has been doing the same in his Group S 1750 GTV for years. I believe the first Alfetta was logged in about 1999 and I believe mine was the third or fourth logged.

It seemed the right thing to do in 2000. Its only taken another 5 - 6 years for the majority of you all to catch up .... ::)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Scott Farquharson

We now have 7 cars underway (or almost) and committed to the category in Vic.  This is a sensational result and I can see for many years to come a great Vic presence at the major Historic meetings.

Paul makes a good point about obsolescence - every other "modern" category changes, whether it is rules or the cars that are eligible.  Historic racing is one where this doesn't happen.  The rules for Group Sc will remain the same and the cars that are eligible will too.  It means you are building a race car that will remain competitive and you can enjoy for many years and when you are done - you can pass it on to someone else who will also be competitive and enjoy the same racing as you have.

I also can't emphasise enough the camaraderie inn the Historic movement - it very much strikes a great balance between social, competition and the preservation of the cars themselves.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)