08 159 2.2L 6 spd Selespeed

Started by bzxhms, August 02, 2009, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzxhms

hi all, looking at purchasing soon but not sure about the selespeed. Is there anything I need to watch out for? Has any one had any problem with the selespeed transmission? I am hoping the new selespeed is more reliable than the old??? Thanks :-\ :-\ :-\

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi bzxhms,

The horror stories relating to the first generation of Selespeed transmissions are well documented in this and other forums.  The reputation for unreliability has actually resulted in Selespeed not being available as an option in the UK.
Having said that, the current generation of Selespeed do not appear to be creating the same level of owner anxiety and forum activity.

You may want to think about a test drive of the auto.  It's not bad in sequential mode.

Cheers,

Marco
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

NigelC

... and the manual version of the 2.2 is fantastic.  Would not swap mine for the world and I've had it nearly three years (it was one of the first into Australia).
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

101phil

Quote from: NigelC on August 04, 2009, 01:45:53 PM
... and the manual version of the 2.2 is fantastic.  Would not swap mine for the world and I've had it nearly three years (it was one of the first into Australia).

I have to admit Im having a lot of fun in mine too. Coming from an Auto XR6 to the 2.2 6speed.. The Alfa does it much better...

Can't comment on the selespeed, as I only had the manual in mind..
Black 159 2.2 - Our first Alfa and loving it.

Feel free to check out our emerging technology blog: http://www.101webtech.com/web_news

bzxhms

Thanks for the replies, but I'm still undecided????? I have managed to get the seller down to 31500. Is this a fair price for this model??

alfalove

bzxhms that sounds like a good deal. how many kms and what colour? is it a selespeed?

bzxhms

It is a selespeed but I am looking at another one. It's the 2.4L deisel auto. Is this a better option?

alfalove

the 2.4 is a sensational option and definetly far better for resale, if you are comparing it to a 1.9 2.2 than definetly go for a 2.4

shiny_car

i too have heard anecdotal opinions that the 2.4 auto is the best allround version, for performance and economy. whilst i've not driven one, let alone any diesel, i think a manual diesel would frustrate me because they don't rev very high (though it's probably something to become used to); so the auto would take care of that issue by changing gears accordingly.

what year is the 2.4? the only criticisms i've read about the autos are about the pre-update versions which don't change/hold gears like you might want. 2008+ models have newer firmware for better shift patterns (plus other changes).

my wife insisted on an AWD car, so it had to be a 3.2 V6 for us. *shux* ;)

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Quote from: shiny_car on August 21, 2009, 02:58:48 AM
the only criticisms i've read about the autos are about the pre-update versions which don't change/hold gears like you might want. 2008+ models have newer firmware for better shift patterns (plus other changes).

This true.  However, the good news is that a dealer can update the software to current spec.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).