Cost of cambelt change for GT 3.2L

Started by vicw, June 20, 2009, 12:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicw

I'm at the point when I need to get my cambelt serviced. I'm in Brisbane but I prefer to get my car serviced when possible in Sydney. I try and work around it with business,

Anyhow I'm getting the work done in an Alfa service place in Artarmon. Mario is the guy I'm dealing with. Anyhow he's quoted $1700 for the cambelt change plus the recommended 40K service which will be around an additional $600.

Can anyone comment on this place and whether this is a reasonable price for this work.

Thanks,

Vic
VicW - Alfa GT 3.2L Coupe '06

Click here for an easy and free way to help care for those in need at The Animal Rescue Site

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Standards Advocate

Hi Vicw,

I know this doesn't help you with your question, but can I ask why you preffer not to have your car serviced in Brisbane? You might end up helping me with some of my questions (HA HA).

vicw

Hello Standards Advocate,

The Brisbane service people have never filled me with confidence. They worry me. They wouldn't return calls when promised which is just common business courtesy and their service managers seem to change every few months which is not a good sign.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when a couple of months after a service I discovered that the air intake from the filter had not been tightened up and the intake had loosened up and the engine was running using unfiltered air.

I complained to Ateco and they never bothered to reply. The next time I was at the Brisbane service centre I ended up talking to the 'mechanic' who had serviced my car and he basically accused me of bullshitting about the intake being left off. He had a smirk on his face that welcomed a fist and I had to hold myself back from completely losing it. I'm not sure what advantage it would be to me to invent a story. Talk about rotten customer relations.

Anyhow I have business to do in Sydney so I've decided to get the work done there. The service manager there seems to know his stuff because I bought the car in Sydney and I had to pick it up from the service centre and they were just a lot more professional.

Regards,

Vic
VicW - Alfa GT 3.2L Coupe '06

Click here for an easy and free way to help care for those in need at The Animal Rescue Site

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

shiny_car

$1700 is about right. you should also have the water pump changed with a metal-impeller version (which was standard on the 916 GTV V6).

you can reduce costs by supplying some of the parts yourself. purchase from places like EB Spares (UK), who are extremely reliable and know their stuff. my cambelt change/service is coming up too. parts you can purchase include:
*cambelt
*auxiliary belt
*2x idlers
*tensioner
*metal impeller water pump
*cam cover gaskets

overall, it should save you at least a couple hundred. also note, my local alfa dealer service department mentioned that they could (have) claimed the idlers and water pump (presumably a plastic version) on warranty for me; i found out too late though. but you could ask about it.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey