The mighty Alfasud at Sandown

Started by Evan Bottcher, June 04, 2009, 02:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Behold the frightening fury and enormous horsepower of the boxer engine...  Um yeah.  Kinda runs out of puff at the end of the front straight, huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgxASVV6Y8

enjoy!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Fast Eddie

Very jealous, long time since i have done that.  Nice telemetary and nice job scaring 2 cars off at Dandenong!
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Mat Francis

Seeing that MX-5 launch into the gravel made my day! (i've got the flu alright). I don't know why, but i found it bloody hilarious.

What's involved in getting the data logger (or whatever it's called) setup Evan? Most interesting.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Ray Pignataro

fabulous quality and good vision what sort of camera are you using?

Evan Bottcher

Make sure you hit the youtube "HQ" button to see the full quality - for some reason without HQ it's dropping frames...

Camera is the cheapest Canon mini-DV camera I could find on fleabay.  I'm really pleased with the output actually - it has the anti-shake feature turned on (actually I don't know exactly how to turn it off!).  I think the secret to quality on youtube is the format that you upload - more on that later...

Mat - I use a Race Technology DL-1 data logger. (http://www.race-technology.com/dl1_2_27.html)  A couple of folk in the club use them.  It uses a GPS antenna and a couple of accelerometers to measure speed and cornering forces.  You can hook up lots of inputs to the unit, but I've failed so far even to get it to record RPM (electrical interference).   It records onto compactflash cards.

I then use a program called TrackVision (http://www.trackvision.net/) to overlay the data onto the video.  This program can also compress the video output as H.264 (mp4) which is probably the best quality video format to upload to youtube.

enough detail?

I also really enjoyed the Mx-5 falling off at Dandenong Rd corner - I personally think he 'ditched' after seeing the mighty Alfasud screaming down at him under brakes.  Or not.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

Thanks Evan, plenty of detail. Not something i will be chasing down in the immediate future, but definitely something i'll be keeping my eyes on.

At least he managed to exit the track more gracefully than a said other MX-5 :P
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Gary Pearce

Evan you are a techno-wiz.
With that telemetry it is like watching the V8 super cars. (you even drive like Leanne Tander)
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Stuart Thomson

Ringing pretty much everything out of it there Evan.  Love the video.

Might have to start doing those annual DVD's of everyone again.  I have some footage from Victor, you have some...

Stuart

Victor Lee

You've inspired me to install the DL1 that's been sitting here for the past 6 months!   ;D
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Ray Pignataro

Victor get Mary to fit it She may have more time on her hands. (and the ability to do it)