159 Squeeks, vibration, rattles and warranty

Started by Standards Advocate, May 31, 2009, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Standards Advocate

I have a 2006 159.

There is lots of squeeks, vibrations and rattles. While brought up under warranty there seems to be no interest in fixing them - in fact the written warranty seems to expressly preclude them early in the vehicles life. Rattling front doors above 80kms/hr. Rattles from under the car when doors are closed, I am lead to believe this is the aluminium heat shields around the exhaust. For a $50k plus car, mine sounds like a 1980's Datsun. Currently only have 40,000kms.

Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone else managed to fix them? If so, do you think it is acceptable for this to be excluded from warranty? What did you do to fix the issue?

Regret buying an Alfa and probably won't do so again.

Standards Advocate

I realised I have not provided enough info. My vehicle is a 2.2 JTS 2006 159

Joe Garra

To be honest, haven't noticed the same problems in our 2006 2.2 159 wagon. Had two minor warranty issues - handbrake needed adjustment and badly faded front badge replaced - no hassles from Zagame's
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

I too have not experienced any issues with having any warranty related issues rectified.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Doug Gould

My 159 had a couple of rattles. There are 2 or 3 known culprits. However, they were all fixed with a brief visit to the dealer. I'd be hassling the dealer or changing if you have on-going issues. In my experience, Alfa are not really any worse than other manufacturers in terms of these sort of issues at delivery. Its why they do a "pre-delivery" inspection. I think its ac dealer problem, not an Alfa problem.

Doug

08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Standards Advocate

Thanks Doug,

After much arguing with the dealer about 6 months ago I had the doors and dash "tightened back-up". It was like pulling teath as the warranty for this expires at 3000kms. But for a time the problem was fixed. Most of these rattles and squeaks have come back after, say, 10,000kms. But to be fair, not all. Maybe the other gremlins await me next month or maybe next year? So given this, it seems to come down to design. The response I got back from my dealer that this is what 159's are like and so I should live with it. And so it seems I will. Unfortunately when I take customers out in my flashy looking Alfa their oohs and ahhs quickly turn to giggles as the door handle squeeks and as the door keeps rattling long after they have closed it.

If you have a dealer that knows how to fix this, I would be wrapped to find out who it is so I don't have to try to sell my car to someone with poor hearing while I have the sound system turned up full. (Said in jest of course, as I would really really appreciate the help)

Doug Gould

Firstly, you should note that Australian Trade Practices legislation does not have time limits. Anything that a car company or dealer says about limiting warrantly is an ambit claim. Having said that, I don't doubt that Ateco makes the dealers life tough when they try and get compensated for the work. My wife's Brera has just had some interior trim replaced under warranty at 2 years & 23,000km, there was no issue at all. I've bought 3 new Alfa's from Lance Dixon (156, 159, Brera) and have never had any difficulty with warrantly work. I've had the odd cross word with them on other issues, but their behavior with warranty work has been explemplary.

My 159 had an issue with wind noise from windscreen trim and a rattle from the rear view mirror that I swore sounded like a dash rattle. Both were fixed quickly & easily.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle