In-car @ Mallala 6 Hour

Started by Victor Lee, May 24, 2009, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

Car's going the hoist tomorrow.  Will know more then.  ???

The camera I use is an old Sony Handycam model DCR-TRV10E using the Mini DV tapes.  Next time I must remember to use my fish-eye lens!

Which might be a bit all academic if CAMS brings in the max weight 100gram rule for in-car cameras!  (Then linked to the actual video recorder in case bolted to the floor).   >:(

Cheers
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

jimnielsen

yes, if that actually happens it would be a better option to dump the 'DV' equipment and get one of those 'video-hero' things instead - just something else to spend money on!
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Victor Lee

Ok!  The lowdown.

Andrew's right.  The tailshaft is disconnected.  But any further thoughts on WHERE it is disconnected?

But to keep you in suspense for a little bit longer .......... :P

I'll post some pics after I come home from the 2010 Committee meeting later tonight.

Cheers

Victor

ps:  And those guys who were down at the workshop today ... don't post and spoil it!  Got some good pics!
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

alfagtv152

I hope it is not to expensive Victor.
As far as camera's go I use a (cheapy) Take-it DV camera which records directly to SD card.The hand book lists the weight as 170 grams but I took off the wrist strap and removed the metal mounting brackets for it, I call it 100 grams!(battery in or out??).There may be others if you look but that Hero camera seems popular.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

Victor Lee

Ok, folks here it is:

The forward tailshaft has been ripped apart!  :o ??? :o ???

The first pic shows it still in the tunnel (notice the damage on the tunnel wall).  The second pic shows the forward piece on the bench (spring thingymegig on very top of the spline is also gone).

The rear part of broken tailshaft was hitting the tunnel in the video because I had my foot on the clutch....it seemed to be the logical action at that very moment.

What caused it?  Don't know at this stage!  The RHS gearbox bolt mount was missing...which was making that bang noise on every upchange as the entire gearbox moved.  Did that movement cause stress on the entire tailshaft?  Maybe.    Was the tailshaft fatigued?  Maybe.    We also need a new bellhouse casing. 

So, get a new front tailshaft, rebalance entire tailshaft, replace bellhouse casing, fix holes in floor, and we're back in business!  No other damage to the gearbox or the engine.  (Phew!)

We won't obviously be at Sandown this weekend, but will be at Phillip Island in July.

Cheers

alfagtv58

OMFG  :o :o :o That is amazing, you're lucky to still have a left leg Victor.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Brett

Ray Pignataro

Brett

A crook donut would have been a lot cheaper  ;D
Come to mention it, l did see someone from the other team walking around with a hacksaw the night before!!!
Next time we'll take the rottweilers, knew we were a threat but.......    ;)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Victor Lee on May 28, 2009, 11:13:21 PM
(notice the damage on the tunnel wall). 

Nope, can't see it, can you point it out maybe?

At least you finally have the excuse for the full body respray now Victor!!

MD

Buy the lottery ticket NOW !!

I have had a tailshaft break at the gearbox end and rip up the tunnel much the same way but that is just pure arrrsssee.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

shane wescott

Great movie Victor, it had everything,

thrill to the sound of the gtv6,

laugh at the ford driver in front,

cry when the engine stops and it leaves the track,

and be very afraid when it tries to come back from the dead :-(

All it needed was the blatently out of place " Babe In Bikini" walking in front the of the car right at the end and it could have been nominated for an Arthouse Prize :-)

Hope the GTV6 is roaring again soon.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750