In-car @ Mallala 6 Hour

Started by Victor Lee, May 24, 2009, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

Some in-car video on YouTube from my drive at Mallala Six Hour last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCK0AuwYGk

Enjoy!   :D

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

JOHN G

Time for a one piece tailshaft.... ;)
Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Ray Pignataro

Victor you are very calm and patient. me I would have been out of the car and long gone before it started making any of those noises after the first big bang.

Ray Pignataro

Good footage of the track though.

John Toomath

What a fantastic sounding engine.  I've enjoyed hearing it from outside many times.  From inside it's even better. I hope the rest of the car is back to full health soon.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

Evan Bottcher

Strewth!  That scares the willies out of me.  Like your car is trying to come back from the dead and kill you...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Victor Lee

Thanks all for the comments.  Yes, the engine note is fantatstic from the inside!  And are one-piece tailshafts for Alfettas available in Oz?

I didn't pre-empt the ending previously!  Whilst it was a little bit scary at the time, it makes for a great video afterwards!   No, Evan, we wouldn't be calling the car "Christine"!   :P
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

jimnielsen

beautiful quality video victor! Can you post some note about what programs you used to render it and what frame rate and compression you used?

Thanks, jimn~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Victor Lee

Hi Jim,

I am pretty pleased with my first attempt at YouTube!

I originally used NeroVision Express to capture the video from the camera and then edit.  When I finished, I found that Nero did not have the right compression (15 FPS was visually too fast, yet audio was fine).  I was not familiar with the other compression methods either.

I then used bog standard Window Movie Maker!  I imported the raw captured video file (captured by Nero previously) and then edited it.  Then under "Finish Movie" used the "Save to my computer" option, choose the "Best quailty for playback on my computer" and hey presto there it is!  5mins 55secs was 72.2Mb, WMV file, 720x576 pixels at 25 FPS.

So I can't take much credit for it .... a Windows program that worked straight out of the box without too much fiddling!

Now, what YouTube contribution can I do next ............ ;D

Ray Pignataro

Victor your next you tube contribution could be you doing a 100 metre sprint . like you should have been doing when your car was making those possesed by the devil noises.

Victor Lee

That will not be a pretty sight  :o

Sheldon McIntosh

I think the car is trying to tell you something about Mallala anyway.  Isn't that exactly the same spot where you did your last giubo?

Victor Lee

You just had to bring that up... :-[

alfagtv152

Who wants to take guess at what is broken on Victor& Mary's car with seeing the footage?.
I will take a guess and say that firstly(and I Suppose obviously) the tail shaft must be disconnected from the engine at the front(if the engine wasnt running).The second part is a little worse(Sorry Victor)because for the tail shaft to still spin with the engine stopped it must be the clutch flywheel turning it which also means there cant be any connection to the gearbox either as the car is stationary.I think it is going to be expensive!!.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

jimnielsen

Victor, can you please let us know the manufacturer and model # of the recorder that you used as well?

cheers, jim.

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -