Look what i got!

Started by Mat Francis, May 03, 2009, 06:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

Electrics hey? Well...

Doesn't start on its own- needs to be push started. No fuel pump when ignition is on. Could a dead fuel pump relay mean the starter won't go?

No dash board- as above, the indicator flashy LED works and that's it. crappy earth somewhere?

And the Alfa Computer thing in the middle of the dash- i have no idea what it's meant to do, as the only thing on it that works is the light showing me i have headlights on. Don't have a clue where to start looking to fix this one.

I'm about to dive into a solid nights reading of the 75 manual.

Oh and i think with the exception of first, all gears are slightly taller in the 75. i have no idea what the final drive is though.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

You'll have fun going through the 75 section on the BB then.  ;D    All 135 pages.  All your answers are in there Grasshopper.

It was interesting when I took the carpets out of my 90 and discovering just how many earths there are......

pep105

I disconnected the alfa check control after about a year as it started to piss me off with that stupid big red light flashing when somethings wrong. It worked when I got the car then it started telling porkies so I pulled the plug.

In this day and age its great you've got this forum and the alfa bb so theres a truckload of info and as your not married (assuming) there wont be wifey yelling at you to get off the friggin internet  (you'll need plenty of time on the bb!)

The gears are taller yet the final drive is 4.1:1 from memory
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Sheldon McIntosh

I think we've all heard "..are you on piece of shit dot com again?.." before.  Or is that just my missus?

The ARC is very useful, and there's a thread on BB somewhere about how to make sure everything works, or if it doesn't to short it out.  Very handy.  I just put a bit of tape over mine in the racecar so it doesn't annoy me.

Storm_X

can i ask how much it set u back ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Mat Francis

I need to find a way of systematically getting through all those pages on the BB. i have at least an hour a night on there for the last month preparing for this sort of thing, but have absolutely no idea what i have and haven't read anymore as i just kept choosing random pages.

The carpet is absolutely rooted, but i was lucky enough to get a good one supplied with the car. I suppose that would be a good time to re do all the earths. come to think of it the heater was disconnected, possibly because the core was leaking under the dash. if that was the case it could cause some crap earths under there, and that could be the cause of no dash? i'll find out pretty soon i suppose.

Jimmy the sparky was round and helped me establish the starter motor is a cause of grief. Still no noise from the fuel pump in the back, but bashed the starter for a bit and then she turned over no worries! starter motor rebuild.

i didn't realise how fast i would learn with this thing!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Mat Francis on May 04, 2009, 07:55:48 PM
come to think of it the heater was disconnected, possibly because the core was leaking under the dash. if that was the case it could cause some crap earths under there, and that could be the cause of no dash? i'll find out pretty soon i suppose.

Wouldn't be surpised at all.  When I moved my electric window switches from the roof to the console I would be looking at totally unrelated things under the dash and then, Hey Presto!, there's an earth!  Wow, just what I needed!

All the info is out there Mat.  Failing that, when I come to take it for a test, you can pore over Ironsides with a fine tooth comb to find all the uncovered earths..

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Storm_X on May 04, 2009, 07:32:14 PM

No you can't, that would be rude. 

I would also love to know, but I'll wait till I see Mat face-to-face so that he doesn't have to let the whole world know.  Failing that, I'll use PM or email.

Paul Gulliver

Besides, why do you need to know.

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Mat Francis

Ok update. apart from the headlight issue, it's coming along well.

Pulled the dash to bits and found the reason the ARC wasn't working- it had been unplugged. Stuffed around for half an hour this arvo with the relay (ARC and Instruments are on the same relay, neither were working, etc..). Unplugged because it is going spastic doing the normal light up everything as quickly and often as it can. At least i know what the problem is now, and will sort it out after reference to the BB.

Instuments- took me about an hour to work out how to get them out. Not at all like the 2 screws in the front of the Alfetta- bugger the looks of having the screws there, i'll take convinience over good looks anyday!
So eventually got the whole instrument section out. pulled the wiring off the speedo and noticed that the printed circuit was not folded over the plastic tab as it should have been. thought i must have done it as i removed it. fixed it and put it back on.

Checked the tacho- same thing. ahhhh he says, that's a little suss. Put's it back properly, reconnects everything, cranks the motor and bingo! EH VOILA!

tacho reads too low, but again the BB has that covered.

End of my rant and happy with the nights progress!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

Might as well keep using this as my update thread.

Today's work produced a fully functional ARC, the only exception being that it doesn't have a bulb for the master warning light thing. Don't feel any real need to put one in anyway.

Also managed to fix the tacho, so it now reads about 200 rpm fast. As close as i could be bothered getting it, but it's near enough for me.

I'll and try book it in for a new exhaust on Monday with any luck, and after that i reckon it should be pretty bloody nice to drive  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie