Replacing 156 front brakes - recommendations?

Started by L4OMEO, April 22, 2009, 10:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L4OMEO

Hi everyone

I'm replacing the front disks & pads on my 02 (pre-facelift) 156 V6. I don't have big dollars to spend on a decent upgrade but since I'm spending money I'd prefer to get some improvement in braking performance through going aftermarket rather than standard replacement. Any feedback on the following very welcome:

Rotors - I'm looking at DBA slotted and/or cross-drilled rotors – anyone have experience with these? Any alternatives you can recommend? How much and where from?

Pads –any suggestions on a pad suitable for street rather than track use, but still better than standard? Also, what pads should be avoided?

Brake lines – I'm a big fan of braided lines, can get Goodridge stainless direct from the UK for about AUD160 delivered, any better options?

Thanks for any help
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Evan Bottcher

I gotta ask the question - why slotted and/or cross drilled rotors for your road car?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

L4OMEO

Hi Evan

I'm slightly paranoid about brakes after a failure at over 180km/h at a racetrack (where I discovered the retardation properties of concrete posts. They're quite effective, but there are cheaper ways to stop quickly). So, I'm just after the best performing set-up I can afford - which, at the moment, isn't much unfortunately.

My understanding is that crossed drilled and slotted rotors offer various benefits over those without (in allowing gas, water and dust to escape, and avoiding glazing), which is why I'm considering them. I know there are also downsides to these, like cracking and excessive pad wear. For the former, I would have thought this less likely if using a quality rotor for street rather than use, and for the latter, I'd rather replace a bit more often than suffer glazed pads. I'm not particularly hard on brakes, but I do like a reassuring feel from a set-up that is going to be there when called on.

That's my theory anyway, but I'm a long way from being an expert (I've only recently graduated from referring to these as 'the stoppy bits'...). Any opinions to the contrary more than welcome.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

shiny_car

slotted/drilled discs are unnecessary for a street car IMO. that is, you won't notice any benefit; they will make a (nice) whirring noise as you apply the brakes and come to a stop (eg: at a set of lights). i have used Tarox G88 40-groove discs. they add bling, but that's probably about it, and if you're on a budget, you'll attain much better value/performance from high quality brake pads instead. so i'd spend money on the pads rather than the discs.

having said that, dba offer good quality discs, and if they don't cost much more to have their slotted versions, why not? varying reports about drilled discs potentially cracking over time; but that would surely depend on the heat stress imposed, and the fluctuations in temperature.

for pads, i currently have Tarox Strada on my 155; i chose them because the pads needed replacing, i was buying Tarox discs, so decided these would suit my needs for a daily driver street car. no complaints; they are meant to be better than OEM, and they simply work very well. i can't compare to OEM on this car though, cos these replaced some aftermarket ones the previous owner had anyway. i have bought my Tarox parts from Ricambi Tuning, Italy; very good service and reliable. http://ricambituning.it/en/index.asp

for my GT, i am awaiting delivery of Ferodo pads; car is heavier, i drive it faster, so i want something better. many great reports about their products, and i expect them to be much better than the Tarox Strada (Tarox do offer different compounds though). on the front, i'm going with DS2500 versions, and on the rear will be DS Performance. the latter are a good upgrade from OEM. the DS2500 are higher performance again, and still suit street cars by offering very good bite 'from cold', whilst also offering excellent braking under higher demands, and suit track work (there are even higher performance compounds for this purpose if required). they are also meant to have low brake dust and not particularly harsh on the discs. potential downside of the DS2500 is brake squeal at low speed, reported by some users. however, i have also been reassured that they should NOT squeal, if everything is properly cleaned before fitment (ie: clean the calipers, etc) and you use copper grease. if you still end up with squeal, and the brakes don't already have them, add some shims; you can buy suitable shim material that can be cut to shape to fit the back of the pad. note, my GT will still just be a street car (no track work planned), but what i consider a 'fast road' car.

so if you want improved braking without lots of $$, perhaps the DS Performance front will suit you. if you can afford it, and want even better braking, then DS2500 on the front. on a FWD car, it is suggested you use a less aggressive compound on the rear compared with front (ie: DS2500 front + DSP rear should be a good combo; or DSP front + OEM rear).

my DS2500 pads are coming from EB Spares, UK. i presume the following is the right fitment for the 2.5L (note: they are relatively cheap compared with 330mm versions for my GT!) :
http://www.ebspares.co.uk/PNF.cfm?id=/alfa_156/Ferodo_2500_Pads_for_284mm_discs/info.cfm&CFID=384006&CFTOKEN=ed1ba79865f62d99-CDDC225B-FFBB-426B-8460516D5C922E10&jsessionid=44307478266cb83607ec1a2e304c17636ec1

alternatively, i have ordered my rear pads from Street to Strip in QLD. they were suggested to me by a fellow Alfista, and i must say that the service so far has been excellent (fast email response, no fuss); had i known earlier, i would have ordered the DS2500 too, because their pricing is meant to be excellent. email Paul there:
http://www.street-to-strip.com.au/

there's plenty of other options. though i would say NO to EBC Greenstuff. they work, but nothing special...at all. though i've heard good things about EBC Redstuff. i'm unsure if Performance Friction offer pads for your 156, and unsure how readily available they would be - probably not locally. but their carbon metallic compound is meant to be excellent too.

can't go past Goodridge for braided brake lines. i have them for both my cars. they comply with ADR, so rather than risk this issue with another brand, i've just stuck with Goodridge (other brands can be perfectly safe and at least as good, but if they are not recognised as ADR-approved, they will be unroadworthy). i bought mine from Merlin Motorsport, UK. http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/index.html

hope this helps. and stay away from concrete barriers. :P
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

alfagtv58

^^^^ Good post shinycar  8)

I'm no expert, so dont flame me if I'm way off the mark here.....but I thought the main advantage of cross drilled and/or slotted rotors was for heat dissapation, and you are just not going to get the constant heat build up on a road car.....maybe thats why shinycar has heard of cracking due to fluctuations in temperature??

A quality Dot4 fluid (ATM I am using Penrite SIN) and a regular bleed will go a long way to giving you a good contsant pedal also.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

L4OMEO

Hi shinycar

Thanks for your comprehensive reply - great info and contacts, much appreciated. My own (less educated) thoughts are pretty similar to your own – I already have brand new standard pads and rotors at the rear and will match this with decent pads (probably DS2500) at the front, with a set of Goodridge lines and some good fluid (Dot 4? 5.1?). I'll also probably go for the DBA slotted rotors for the front on the basis that they are meant to be a good quality disk, and if it doesn't turn out to be a good thing then I'll have lived and learnt. Hopefully though it should be an improvement from standard and a reasonable set-up without going to the extent of a proper upgrade.

I'm shopping for prices at the moment, will post what I find shortly.

How much labour do you think is involved fitting this lot – ie replacing disks, pads, lines, fluid, and cleaning calipers?

And hi Phil - yeah, my understanding is that - in simplistic terms - cross-drilling helps with gas/heat dissipation, while slotting does a bit of this too but mainly allows water/dust/crap to clear while also helping prevent glazing. I know there's lots of discussion on how cross-drilled disks can be more prone to cracking, although how often this actually happens I don't know. I'm sure there are lots of factors involved which might play a part here. Think I'll stick with slotted for now.

I'll post a couple of pics of my Sud following its sudden stop into the concrete barrier once I get the chance.

Thanks again guys
Rory
2002 156 GTA