East Coast Challenge '09

Started by alfagtv58, March 25, 2009, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

OK Folks, here it is......

East Coast Challenge at Lakeside in '09.  July 3-5.

See attached blurb & track map.  I have entry forms and terms conditions available if you want (too large to post here), send me an email.

C'mon Vics, I want to send my car up on a transporter and fly up.....I need probably half a dozen of us to be able to do this!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

hammer

Team,

Here is the East Coast Challenge media release that has gone out to magazines FYI. Obviously it's rather Queensland-centric.

Cheers,

Brent

MEDIA RELEASE
- May 8, 2009 -

ALFA ROMEOS TO BATTLE AT LAKESIDE

Buckle up Italian car fans, the Alfa Romeo East Coast Challenge is heading back to the Sunshine State.
That's right, the motorsport event that saw the largest field of Alfa Romeos in our state's history fill the grid at Queensland Raceways' Ipswich circuit back in September 2007 is about to reignite, this time at the revitalised Lakeside Park on the weekend of July 4 and 5.
With New South Welshmen (mostly from the Voloce Racing Association) taking the 2007 silverware, the 2008 East Coast Challenge was held in enemy territory at Wakefield Park, Goulburn. Once again the blue boys dominated the Queensland contingent (and one lone Victorian) to pocket the trophies and twelve months of bragging rights.
One year down the track, however, the gloves are off and the Queenslanders are determined to pack the podium!
So the stage is set for a titanic tussle of Milan's finest hardware as the Alfas form up one complete category in round three of the Queensland Racing Drivers Championship (QRDC).
"Several of the boys have put in a lot of development over the past year and we have a couple of guys who have built up new cars from scratch," explained Alfa Romeo Owners Club of Australia, Queensland Division, Competition Secretary, Ken Percival. "We think we have two or three genuine contenders to take the title this year and win back a bit of state pride."
Other categories making up the bill for round three of the QRDC include Formula Ford, Sports Cars, Race Cars and the consistently entertaining Queensland Hire Karts Gemini Challenge. In fact, so great has the interest been for the winter racing at Lakeside Park that Queensland Raceways administrators have split the round in two and will run QRDC round 3A the following weekend – July 11 and 12. Round 3A will feature the Australian Trans-Am Championship, HQ Ironfarmers Championship, Formula Vee, Future Racers and those ultimate daredevils the Queensland Sidecars.

"The interest for the July round of the QRDC has been absolutely overwhelming," enthused Queensland Raceways CEO John Tetley. "We have had expressions of interest from more than two hundred competitors, which means even with the round spread across two weekends spots on the grid are at a premium. This is going to be one hell of a fortnight's racing!"

Queensland Racing Drivers Championship – Round 3
Queensland Raceways, Lakeside Park – Lakeside Drive, Dakabin
Saturday, July 4 & Sunday July 5, 9am – 4pm
Saturday features morning qualifying and afternoon racing
Sunday features racing all day
Entry is $10 on both days, payable at the gate

MD

Doing our best to get there. New engine parts still in the pipeline..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

East Coast Challenge update:

We now have 30 entries, so the dance card is full. If anyone else still wants to enter they will be put onto a reserves list. If you are in this boat, I encourage you to get on the reserves bench as you may get a call up. As we experienced last year with the Italian Challenge, anything can happen between now and race day. Last year we lost three cars with serious panel damage in the race weekend prior to the Italian Challenge.

One more great reason for non racers to come along and soak up the atmosphere on the day, is a very kind invitation from Queensland Raceways for Alfa Club members to take part in a few parade laps around the famous Lakeside circuit during the lunch break on Sunday, July 5. If you missed out on the sample session on the resurfaced Lakeside a few months ago, or would simply like another trundle through legendary corners such as Hungry, The Eastern Loop and the Kink, then come along on the day and you will be ushered onto the circuit at lunch time. There is a $10 per person entry fee Lakeside on the day, but no further charge to take part in the parade laps.

There will be a good variety of food and drinks available for sale and the Lakeside Room cafe is now making genuinely good coffee - so don't fret about having to survive on a diet of hot dogs and coke.

We would like to encourage as many club members as possible to come along and support the cause on Sunday, July 5. It will be a tremendous race meeting and the atmosphere on the Lakeside hills is sure to be alive with car lovers.

Hope to see you there,

Brent

alfagtv58

Great stuff Brent, glad to hear the dance card is full.  I do wish I could have made it up for this event, but the money tree is bare  :'(
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

Just a brilliant week end. As usual the fun spoiled by a 20 cent part. Lucky we got some decent runs in to get an idea how the Brick likes Lakeside and sure enough, loves it. Special thanks to the Bob Whitehouse, Hammer and the NSW lads to help with the fun. Congrats Andrew for some top peddling.

..any more fun, you'd need to take your pants off.. ;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfagtv58

MD, can you give us some results?  Natsoft hasn't got anything.
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

Phil , I would be more than happy to if I had access to the full details which I don't. Been searching myself without any success. Can't be too far away..

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

hammer

Team,

Andrew Wilson won every race, including the reverse grid and brought the cup back to Qld. 

Bill Magoffin took second and Brad Wilson third. Exactly the same three cars as took first, second and third in 2007 at QR - but with Alan Lewis at the wheel of the Alfetta GTV that year.

Quite a bit of panel damage, with Phil Simmie the worst off, followed by John Carson, Wes Harriott, Brad Wilson and Mark Jackson - sorry if I missed anyone else's carnage.

62 seconds flat was about the best time and mid to high 62s set the pace for most races. Top ten runners were generally in the 64s to low 65s, so the pace was hot.

The racing was fierce, fast and f$%^&g exhilarating. For a beginner like me being set the challenge of carving my way through the field after being relegated to the rear of the grid for the start of race three, it was an awesome thrill. Going full noise across the back of the circuit, under the bridge, down the dipper and hard onto the anchors into Hungry is unspeakably exciting.

I hope we get to do it all over again in two years time.

More than 4000 spectators attended over the two days, which really added to the excitement in the place.

Hopefully QR's website will have full race results up in the next day or so.

Brent

hammer

Further to my last post, check out some of Mark Walker's pics on the attached link.

Cheers,

Brent

http://www.contactingpr.com/motorsport-gallery-lakeside021.html

alfagtv58

Carnage at an ECC  :o  :o  :o  No good at all.  Phil Simmies car is such a nice car too, what a shame.
2009 159 JTS Ti

ItalCarGuy

Here are a couple of pics from late Sunday arvie when I popped by for a look. Great racetrack.

ItalCarGuy

and some more

len105

"and brought the cup back to Qld. "  :) :)

What do you mean back to QLD ?? If I'm not mistaken, it's gthe first time it's left NSW !!

Len
1973 Alfa GTV 105 2000 - silver - tarmac rally/group s car - unfortunately no more

2002 Alfa 156 2.5L - black - also gone to good home

1968 Giulia Sprint Veloce - sad to say this has found a new owner now...

1974 Alfa 2000 105 Cream - road registered & loving it !