2004 2.0 JTS 156 - Motor Control System Failure - Fixed!!!

Started by 156southpaw, February 24, 2009, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaboy156

my 156 jts has had cyclinder 1 coil  replaced at 97000km ive just hit 110000 and so far no coil issues just the cat is showing fault and bringing the evil MOTOR CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE up- my performance is still sparkling - im reallllly hoping it stays that way -now is not the time for my 156 to need coils replaced  :( 

shai

Thanks for the info guys - really appreciate it. Having very similar issues with my 05GT.

Taking it to Euro Aus in Capalaba, Qld this week.

Davidm1600

So much for me bragging how great my '03 JTS Sportwagon had been, for I too now have suffered this problem. For me the cost was approx $480 to fix, and thankfully so far no sign of any more problems but at least I am so much more aware and expect that others will need to be replaced in due course.  My car experienced this issue at 105,000km. 

I guess the one question that no one seems to have asked is why do they fail?  Oh and btw my mechanic has said to me previously that from his experience, the JTS is in fact the best proposition out of all engines, as fitted to the 156.  The cam belts on the V6 cost about double the cost of on the 4cl and Twinnies also have problems. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

jayarr

Hi,

can anyone advise how to determine whether a coil pack has died? Is there a test using a multimeter on or off the car which proves it one way or another?

Cheers.
Mito QV, Fiat 850 Sport, Alfetta GTV 2L
Past life: 33 1.5L, Fiat X1/9,75 V6 2.5L, GTV V6 3L 1998, 156 JTS 2L 2003

Cloud2609

Thanks guys! Very helpful information! I own a 03 JTS and currently am at about 59,000km! Hopefully this problem doesn't come up anytime soon!

wankski

coil packs are absolutely not an issue confined to the JTS... the TS (and other cars such as bimmers) have a history of going through them...

for anyone considering doing all of them, look into shipping them in from the UK. I have seen quotes from 100-150quid each.

Paul Gulliver

I know this is an old thread , but could someone please advise if the coil packs are specific to each cylinder ( ie the coil pack for cylinder 1 is different to the coil pack on cylinder 2) or  a new coil pack can be used on any cylinder.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

ForzaSab

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on August 22, 2011, 06:26:42 PM
I know this is an old thread , but could someone please advise if the coil packs are specific to each cylinder ( ie the coil pack for cylinder 1 is different to the coil pack on cylinder 2) or  a new coil pack can be used on any cylinder.
They can be used on any cylinder mate.  ;)

colcol

There would be a professional way of checking for dud coil packs, here is a backyarders way of checking, remove all coil packs, remove all spark plugs and clean them or put new ones in, put back spark plugs and coil packs, if engine runs ok, then you have fixed problem, [it was a dirty spark plug], if engine is running rough, run for about a minute, switch of engine, remove coil packs from spark plugs, remove spark plugs and note condition, spark plug that is not firing will be wet and a different color to the other plugs, mark suspected dud coil pack and put it on another cylinder, run engine again for a minute and check spark plugs, if you find a wet and different colored plug on the previously marked coil pack, then this coil pack is faulty, this method works sometimes, but is not foolfroof, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Annabella

Soooo I was driving on Kings St this morning and the MOTOR SYSTEM FAILURE came up. Car started shaking and eventually wouldn't drive.  I've taken it Ultra Tune in the CBD. Will be interesting how much they charge to replace the coil. 2 have been previously replaced. 2 more to go.

My Question is... Are coils hard to replace yourself or should I ask a mechanic to change it? Quite worried about the price for parts and labour.

Should I just change the 2 in one go or just change the coils as they go?

Neil Choi

Annabella,
Having determined which coil has failed, change that one, but the other one could fail later, but who knows when, I would wait.  Changing coil isn't difficult, if you are interested and wanting to do it yourself, good experience.  Just need some tools and just look around.
I am sure Ultratune could be ok (though I personally wouldn't go there) but for security, take the JTS to your Alfa repairer, you will get the care your Alfa deserves.
Labour shouldn't be that much if it is just changing out the faulty coil.  Watch for what you charge you for the coil, as always.
Hope all is well.
Neil

colcol

If you know which coil pack is faulty, then try one of our club supporters for a new coil pack, Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick, talk to Dom or Marc and Alfamen in Brooklyn, talk to Matt. Don't drive the car with a faulty coil pack as the excessive heat from the unburnt petrol in the cats will ruin them and replacement new is a few thousand $$$$, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Have replaced all coil packs now on the 156 so know the story. Also would like to know why they fail but is not confined to Alfas - the German cars have similar issues.

No point replacing all coil packs or searching for one's about to fail - it just happens! Best to shop for a cheap ones to keep as spares.

Just another under whelming feature of this Alfa.

colcol

I have been replacing my 13 year old coil packs with second hand ones, to get me on the way, and then they fail, should really bite the bullet and buy 4 new ones, even Toyotas have coil pack failures, these little coil packs do a brilliant job when you think about it, all that heat and vibration, not to mention the oil, they must fire millions of times before they fail, Colin.

Craig_m67

Quote from: colcol on September 04, 2015, 09:18:01 PM
I have been replacing my 13 year old coil packs with second hand ones, to get me on the way, and then they fail, should really bite the bullet and buy 4 new ones, even Toyotas have coil pack failures, these little coil packs do a brilliant job when you think about it, all that heat and vibration, not to mention the oil, they must fire millions of times before they fail, Colin.

VW Golf mk4 GTI and 2.0L were notorious for bad coils, pretty sure they had a recall in the U.S. (Would never happen in Australia).

https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Results&category=22&secondary=53&opts=3381&term=Alfa%255FRomeo%255F156%255FMk2%255F%25282002%253E%2529%255F2%252E0%255FJTS%255F16v%255FIgnition%255FCoils&cat=Ignition_Coils

£55./each
Other shops may have them
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)