Who wants to go Group S Racing?

Started by Scott Farquharson, July 21, 2006, 10:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you are considering racing in Group S where are you up to?  **POLL**

I have a car and have started preparing it to race.
6 (60%)
I have decided to race Group S but and am actively looking for a car.
0 (0%)
I have decided to race Group S but won't start looking for a car until next year.
1 (10%)
I have decided to race Group S but I am not sure when.
1 (10%)
I would like to race Group S but don't have the budget at the moment.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Scott Farquharson

I thought we would run a poll to see how many people we have interested and where they are up to in their preparations.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

branko.gt

Since the vote does not reveal identity I am also replying to the thread.
I have 1750 that is in final phase of body work.
I am also collecting the right bits for the engine and other required (and allowed) go fast parts.

Paul Byrne

I'm really feeling the pressure now, I've got the car and it's logbooked Group S. I love doing Targa and other tarmac events but it's too long beteween drinks! I will gave to give it serious thought, but probably after Targa Tas in April 07 (need to have the car in one piece). I'll come over to PI in March and watch those who have taken the plunge. If anyone wants a hand crewing or whatever for the event please let me know : paul.byrne6@bigpond.com
74 GTV 2000 tarmac rally
75 Spider
EX 51 Jowett Jupiter

Scott Farquharson

Adding a couple of the major historic events to the mix would fill out the year quite nicely I think.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Mike

Hi

I bought Colins 1979 gtv.  I've not had enough time to look into the costs / entry requirements etc of groups S yet, but I am pretty keen...if its too full on I'll stick to hill climbs etc.

Anyway, some really helpfull information on these threads so thanks!

I still need to install a cage as a starting point
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Scott Farquharson

Hi Mike,

Good get - great car and probably doesn't need to much to be on the track in Grp S.  All the Grp S stuff is in the Grp S sections of the web site.  Call Mark at the factory to talk about roll cages 9720 6228.

Give me a call on 0400 094007 to discuss the rest.

Scott
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

Guys,

What is the actual cutoff for eligibility of the Alfetta coupe ?  Late '81 models seem to have the earlier interior and dash, but the later plastic bumpers, and I assume the later style bodywork/panels.

I ask, because once you pull the bumpers off, it would be hard to tell. 
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Scott Farquharson

They need to be metal bumper cars - the plastic cars have a number of differences that make them hard to covert such as the panel behind the front bumper, the black window surrounds, the differences in rear qtr panel where the "GTV" goes ect.  Given metal bumper cars are still cheap it would be easier just to buy one.  A beaut example went on ebay in the last week or so for $455!!!.  It was a complete, registerable car - unbelievable.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

I must be missing something with my search parameters !  I check Ebay at least every 3 days or so and seem to miss a lot of Alfas !!!!
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

AndrewT

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on March 15, 2007, 11:02:16 AM
They need to be metal bumper cars - the plastic cars have a number of differences that make them hard to covert such as the panel behind the front bumper, the black window surrounds, the differences in rear qtr panel where the "GTV" goes ect.  Given metal bumper cars are still cheap it would be easier just to buy one.  A beaut example went on ebay in the last week or so for $455!!!.  It was a complete, registerable car - unbelievable.
Scott,
Can you please clarify the situation regards the 'steel' vs 'plastic' bumpered Alfetta GTV.  As far as I know, the 1977-81 Alfetta 2000 GTV, the 1981-83 Alfetta GTV 2.0 and 1983-86 Alfetta GTV 2.0 all have the same chassis code 116.370.  ???
Although I appreciate that early Alfetta GTV are available, I already have a 1984 model which I have been using for sprint events here in Queensland and which has received much attention in the process!
Notwithstanding the panel-work issues you have identified, in terms of suspension, engine and transmission the cars are close to identical.  Is the Alfetta 2000 GTV considered a run-on model because of appearance?  As a counter example, CAMS includes the Datsun 260Z 2+2 as a run-on model to the 240Z, and the differences between them are substantially more than between the Alfettas.

Regards,
Andrew Tewes
Brisbane

Beatle

Chassis code yes....body code no.

According to David Wright-Alfa Romeo Down Under PtII - the body codes (for Oz) are:
77-81    116.37   2000GTV
81-83    116.60   GTV 2.0 (Nuova)
83-on    113.18   GTV 2.0 ED (Nuova)

The 1.8GT is chassis code 116.11 and has the same body designation.  This may be a misprint though as one would think the 'cassis' are identical, and the chassis code appears to be missing a digit..
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Beatle

While all the correspondence to date relates to Alfettas I'm wondering what the go is if one chooses a 105 coupe for GpS ?

My main query is do you need to stick rigidly to the chassis/engine/interior combo applicable to the specific year model ?  For example, could you run a Giulia Sprint or a Jnr with a 2L engine and say 1750 dash/interior ?
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd

Scott Farquharson

Yes, you wouldn't have a problem.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Beatle

OK, what about interior and trim.  I've looked at the CAMS manual but its not speciific.  I assume a GpS car requires:

-Headlining,

-Rear and passenger seating

-Console if originally fitted

-Operating gauges  ?

What about door rubbers, kick panels, exterior trim (eg: window surrounds on a 116) ?

Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd