3l GTV6 PRC project

Started by redalfaracing, January 24, 2009, 07:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

OK, now it's gotten cooler i get to do some work i wanna do, not work i gotta do.
I have been busy on the GTV6 the last 2 days and gotten it up to scratch , put it on the hoist at our clubs CH inspector, and have Vic Roads paper work filled in for Classic Historic club permit. I'll get to Vic Roads tomorrow and exchange some cash for some red plates. Then the hard work begins. I have to gut the interior, Dash and screen out and get it to Rai Curry's to be caged whilst i am away on hols in a week.
I took it for a squirt on a few local roads and found it a delight to drive, however i don't know how you can even think of driving it quick on a twisty tar road, feels good entering the corner but exits are a disaster with it lifting the inside rear wheel and smoking up the tyre. Needs less rear sway bar and an LSD. I dare say i'll get it sorted.
As a matter of interest, on the way home today i put it over a weigh bridge. Standard trim 5 litres of fuel and 2 litres of washer water it weighed 1220 kg. Front wheels weighed 660 kg and rear wheels weighed 560 kg. As a 2.5 litre PRC the minimum weight is 1030 kg and as a 3.0 litre 1090 kg. Considering the cage will weigh about 70 kg that means i need to extract about 200 kg from it. Big ask me thinks! Anyone got any radical ideas?
I drove to Sydney last week end and brought home another 1983 GTV6 to restore as a daily driver. Looks identical to the first one i bought except it has its Recaro interior. This one has a very sad engine. It runs, just but water pours out of the water pump and it has zero oil pressure. Still it started 2nd turn of the key and drove up onto the trailer which was a relief ( pushing cars and me don't get on!)
I have a 2.5 in a 75 that i can plonk in it so it's not a big issue. i think the biggest issue is the gaping rust hole under the washer bottle. didn't see that till i got it home. Should be easy to fix i hope whilst the engine is out.  Life is never dull here.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

redalfaracing

I am sad today, which is a contrast to yesterday. Raced to Waragul Vic Roads today after work at 4.40, only to find they close at 4.30, Who closes at 4.30????  who do they think they are, a BANK?

Never mind, there is always tomorrow
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Barry Edmunds

Greg,

You really are being a tad optomistic, even demanding, to expect Vic Roads to actually provide service for its customers. There are one of two few exceptions of course but VicRoads as an organisation would easily qualify as one of the more unhelpful statutory bodies that I have ever encountered. Seems they don't consider themselves to be accountable to anyone, least of all the poor schmuks like us who pay their wages and put up with poor service and their unfriendly hours of operation.

Guess you should be thankful that there is tomorrow.

Barry

alfagtv58

Quote from: redalfaracing on March 11, 2009, 08:32:48 PM
put it on the hoist at our clubs CH inspector

I have to point out that what Greg refers to here is not our club.  AROCA Vic does not have a club CH inspector.  It is a long standing requirement that a RWC is needed before we can sign off on the Vic Roads paperwork.  Simply due to the fact that the committee are enthusiasts and not mechanics therefore we cannot vouch for vehicle safety with any authority.

Quote from: redalfaracing on March 12, 2009, 10:02:12 PM
Raced to Waragul Vic Roads today after work at 4.40, only to find they close at 4.30, Who closes at 4.30????  who do they think they are, a BANK?

Gov dept.  enough said!!

I would have thought you need an appointment anyway Greg?  I know you do when registering a car on normal rego.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

No appointment required for a new CH permit at Vicroads.  The car doesn't need to be inspected, so they just do it over the counter. 

That said, my experience was that the person behind the counter doesn't have a clue how to process the permit - I had to get the supervisor involved to cut through the misinformation (e.g. "you need a letter from the club" - which is not true - just the form signed correctly).

As Phil says - the Vic club will not give any statement of roadworthiness, a proper RWC is required.  The secretary (or other authorised committee members) only signs the part of the form that says that the person getting the permit is a financial member of the club.

Should the govt privatise VicRoads - maybe Connex will need a new contract if they lose the trains?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

redalfaracing

Sorry Phil, i prehaps should have included in my ramblings the fact that i am a member of the Pakenham Auto Club, and we are blessed with a member who owns and runs a mechanical repair business in Lang Lang. It has been a long standing requirement of our club that Beegs must inspect all cars that are to be given a club permit thru PAC.
Actually an appointment isn't required, i wandered into Burwood East Vic Roads at 9.30 this morning and within 10 minutes had a pair of shiny historic plates in my hand. It probably could have been a lot quicker if the customer service officer had even some vague clue on what procedure to follow when presented with a ch request.
I was surprised by the cost. i was sure when i got the sedan ch plated that i had to pay for the plates.
today i paid $106 and was assured that covered the plates as well. Maybe i will get a bill for them later??
I note in our magazine ( the oilrag) that VCAS rd2 is on on sunday at Kyneton. If i can get an entry in i might drive up and have a dip. VCAS being Victorian Club Autocross Super series , and PAC is a member club.

Heaven forbid Connex get involved in anything in Victoria ever again!
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

Kyneton over subscribed, bugger.. good for the organisers, bad for me.  Looks like i get to have a whole day in the shed :)
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

The GTV6 is now stripped ready for a cage. Just removing the seats, carpet, under felt and bitumen
sheet will get me well on the way to my weight target. 8.5 kgs of bitumen scraped of the floor with a hot air gun and a wood chisel. Taking it to Rai Currys in Braeside on thursday for caging. Might take it over the weigh bridge on the way then on the way home so i know how much the cage weighs. Any of you guys think the dash is too heavy? The bare dash ( no instruments ) 8.5 kg. If i get a fiberglass one made , any one else interested?

Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

redalfaracing

The GTV is now down in Braeside at Fabraications getting its cage. Get it back b4 Easter. I have picked up some willwood superlite calipers for the front. Anyone tell me what big discs will fit on the front hubs, i have heard mention of 156 discs, are they the largest diameter that will fit inside the 15" rims?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

alfagtv58

I went past Fabraications today on the way to get lunch.  pop in and have a coffe with me next time greg.
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

redalfaracing

you dont work in that pink fronted building across the road do you???
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

alfagtv58

I have no idea what you mean ;)

2009 159 JTS Ti

redalfaracing

i was reading on the alfa GTV6 forum about a rear brake mod where they fitted Peugeot 306 front discs to the rear of a GTV 6 ( inboard) has anyone tackled this?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC

Jekyll and Hyde

Quotei was reading on the alfa GTV6 forum about a rear brake mod where they fitted Peugeot 306 front discs to the rear of a GTV 6 ( inboard) has anyone tackled this?

Haven't heard of that one before, but would be interested to know more.... Don't think the girlfriend would miss her front brakes, she doesn't use them much anyways  ;D

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: redalfaracing on March 20, 2009, 10:33:38 AM
i was reading on the alfa GTV6 forum about a rear brake mod where they fitted Peugeot 306 front discs to the rear of a GTV 6 ( inboard) has anyone tackled this?

For what benefit?