Giulietta 1.4 first car

Started by poohbah, March 20, 2023, 01:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Folks,

Just looking for some general opinions.

My 22yo daughter is finally starting on getting her licence and we'll be helping her purchase her first car. We're not in a rush - she's still in early stage of getting licence.

We're also not crazy - looking for something with max safety features, good reliability, good fuel economy and an auto trans, that fits within budget up to a maximum $10k.

Preferably it also needs to be bigger than a micro car (so looking at mid size hatches/sedans, potentially small SUV).

Now I have til now been focused on the usual suspects from Japan and SK like Corollas, i30s, Ceratos, Rios and even Imprezas (na only). Will not bother with anything from Ford, GM, Germany, or similar.

But I've already discovered there is not much for <$10k with a Japanese badge that is newer than late noughties or hasn't been flogged. And while there are a few circa 2012-14 Kias and Hyundais, it has struck me that a similar age Giulietta with the 1.4 or diesel may be a realistic alternative that has superior standard safety features for the money.

Just missed out on even looking at a beautifully cared-for 2014 Giulietta diesel for $9k that was snapped up in about two days. But it did at least indicate these do pop up from time to time.

So I'm really just interested to hear owners views on whether a 1.4 or diesel G would be a crazy choice for a first car.  If I managed to overcome the missus' anti-Alfa attitude, I would 'guide' my daughter on care/maintenance, and make sure it was serviced at the same place I've been taking my Alfas for the last 11 years.

And aside from usual stuff like needing full service history etc, what should I look out for?

I recall from my own prior brief consideration of a QV for me (I ended up replacing my '99 156 with a '02 156 GTA instead  ...) that the rear wiring looms can be problematic, that drivers' side mirror vibrating at idle is a sign of engine mount needing replacement, and selespeed /TCT trans can be problematic (this would probably be my major concern), and usual checking for signs of excessive oil consumption/leaking especially in relation to turbo wear.

Cheers
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

As you have already mentioned the Drivers Side Engine Mount & Tail Hatch Wiring loom issues, the only other things I can think of to watch for are -

1/ On the 1.4MA, just make sure the oil changes are no more than 12 month/10,000 km at the most and that the MultiAir Micro Filter has been changed at least when the cambelt has been done.

2/ Make sure the correct AGM battery is installed, and the battery is not more than 2-3 years old, otherwise you'll be changing it.

3/ The TCT Transmissions are a lot more reliable than people think, you have to remember that you only ever hear about them when there is a problem, you never hear about the large number of trouble free ones out there.  ;)

Many of the alternatives that you have mentioned have CVT transmissions, go Google and see the number of issues people have with those!

4/ Do try and get one with as low a mileage as possible, remembering that the TCT clutches start to get normal wear & tear issues from around 150,000 kms onwards

5/ Be patient & keep your nerve, even if you miss a perfect bargain, just remember, there is always an even better one just a week or two away.

And then there is the MOST important reason to buy an Alfa. When she is at work/Uni and pulls up in the car park, and all her friends are gathered around talking about their cars, "I've got a Hyundai, I've got a Mazda, I've got a ect ect ect" she can elegantly step up with her Prada handbag and proclaim "Well I've got an Alfa Romeo!", turn and snap her pony tail with an air of superiority and walk off in her Italian high heels leaving them wondering "How do I get one?"  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Cheers Bazz, good advice as always. I am pretty certain I can find another good one if I wait, and time is not a problem in this instance.

I know all about CVTs (onto our 3rd Subaru Forester, and the trans is the one thing I dislike most, really not very pleasant), so the TCT isn't that off-putting. I wasn't aware of the 150tkm wear threshold so thanks for that.

Also, what's the timing belt interval on these cars? And what's the usual ballpark cost of a normal service (and is it 6 or 12 months)?

Finally, what do you think of the diesels? (I've never owned one, so no idea).

To be honest, I fear I will be the only one enthusing about a Giulietta. Still, I can only provide a range of good options for consideration .
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Timing belt - I recommend 4 yr/100,000 km for both (They always time out long before the mileage)

The diesels are fine, same horsepower with an extra 100nm of torque, and they'll go from Brisbane to Sydney on a single tank of fuel.
However, they are still a diesel, with the usual diesel NVH.

No additional problems to speak of over the 1.4MA, as the EGR valves in these are water cooled and much less problematic.

Servicing, can't give you a cost figure as not familiar with prices in your neck of the woods. Interval, no more than 10,000 km/12months.
Changing the 1.4MA oil & filter every 6 months can only be beneficial if the finances allow.

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Cheers Bazz, appreciate the information.

Diesel wouldn't be my first choice,  I also doubt my daughter (being more eco-minded than me) would choose an oil burner over petrol if both were available, but seems sensible to have as many options available. And being fairly practical, she may actually find the lower fuel consumption of more appeal given her skinnier finances.

1981 GTV

LukeCr

Hi Poobah,   Ironically, I just joined this forum as I have just done exactly this and purchased an Alfa for exactly the same reasons. 
I'm In Tas where used cars are even more limited and generally more expensive,  I got sick of looking at 10 - 15 Year Old Ford Fiestas, Hyundais I20s, Kias and Mazda 3s etc that had 100,000ks on the clock that were priced close to the same as the original owner would have paid 10 years ago  (OK, so 20% or so less,   but you get the point).
I ended up with a 2015 Giulietta, 85,000ks Petrol 1.4l auto  for $12,000.   Considering the week before I had driven a ford fiesta with similar Ks but two years older for only slightly less,  this seems like  a steal.

I also did share your paranoia though and I got the car a fairly full check before I paid with a friend who is a mechanic and had the full shop setup.  Compression test, suspension, bushes, looking for Oil or fluid leaks,  worn Cv joints and any electrical gremlins with the plug in diagnostic tool. I flicked every single switch and button also to make sure evetyhing worked. I even had a cheeky look at the last listed service agent in the service book and gave them a call to see the cars history!  The car passed with zero issues.

Just a bit of interesting advice I got out of the seller I got mine from,  He had tried to shop it around car yards initially,  but none of them wanted it,  Tasmanians are notorious for not liking second hand euro cars,  and Alfas still carry the old reputation for chronic unreliability here.  Not sure if thats an issue in other states though.     

Ill let you know how it goes! 

poohbah

Cheers Luke, best of luck, sounds like you got  a good deal.

At the moment the supply of Giuliettas in Perth around the right price range (now looking up to $12k) has dropped off, and my daughter has also now expressed preference for something SUV-shaped, despite my attempts to guide her elsewhere. My missus is also very 'anti-euro" (and especially anti-Alfa). It's very disappointing.

But my daughter says she is still open minded, so we'll see how it plays out.

Trying to avoid CVTs in the SUV space (she needs an auto) is a major challenge. I hate all CVTs - our Subi has one (with a dubious rep) - but they are the prevalent auto-box in most makes since 2010. And I won't touch anything with a German DSG, Ford Powershift, or any of the GM or earlier Korean CVTs. To date the only CVT I've seen relatively positive reports about is the one in the Mitsubishi ASX/Lancer.

The SUVs also carry an extra mark-up, which means you end up looking at something 1-2 years older than the comparable car.
            1981 GTV

Craig_m67

I'm biased, but...

I'd have thought a QV would be the better petrol bet if you can't find a good Derv with the sportive (QV) pack?

It doesn't have the (seemingly) annoying start/stop function and associated AGM battery issue
It doesn't have Multi-air and the associated service costs (highly specific oil?) or failure rates/issues

It does have shed loads of torque/power, which you don't have to use.
Usually comes with better suspension/brakes and options (Bose stereo/pana roof, etc.)
Fuel consumption is similar, if you don't use "D"

Trick (like all cars) is to find one that's been preventatively serviced and cared for.
Mine is about to hit 172Km, all in "D" and all flat out.. pretty much nada issues other than consumables and age related wear.

I (still) can't think of what to replace it with
(galactic mileage Stelvio TI so I can drive on Rainbow perhaps)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

poohbah

Cheers Craig,

If it was for my use, yes a QV would be my pick. But I'm looking for a first car for my daughter who really doesn't care much about performance, more about practicality, reliability, economy, ease of ownership etc - and I would assume a 1.4 sele is far less to have been driven on the ragged edge than a manual QV...

Regardless - she does like the look of the Giulietta but has now clearly stated a preference for a small SUV, so unless something dramatic happens, I sadly won't be adding another Alfa to the family fleet anytime soon ...

In fact, am off to look at a 2012 Subaru XV. Not as big as the wife's 2019 Forester, has the smaller and "less likely to blow a gasket" 2.0L boxer, and pretty much all the same safety/driver aids as the wife's car (minus the annoying lane-departure interference).
            1981 GTV

LukeCr

So,  got the Alfa properly yesterday and one while day isn't a great test,  we are all delighted.  Not sure if it will help you win anyone over Poohbah but considering the price  we got a heap of things we wouldn't have ever got in any other car with similar Ks and age:   
- (heated) leather seats,  power seats with the 3 memory positions,
- full navigation system without having to use your phone, stereo and infotainment unit all round is superb. bluetooth, 8 good speakers etc. 
- Safety features with the traction and stability control etc.
- 2 zone climate control.

One surprising unexpected joy of the car is also the DNA mode,  Similar to you,  I got the car for a new driver and she's actually been driving it in the "All weather" mode so far,  it takes a big edge off the acceleration and generally makes the car feel less peaky to her.   Her first drive was on a cold and wet Tassie night and it definitely made her more comfortable.  I was surprised at how different the three modes were,  its a big jump from the Natural mode to the dynamic in terms of feel,  especially in the auto where the gear shifting points also change significantly. 

As before.  Ill only know if this is a good car after it stays  mechanically sound for a few years, but we are loving it so far and I'd definitely recommend it so far as a first car.

poohbah

Great to hear the good initial reports Luke. I agree, much better features for the money.
            1981 GTV