recent 1970 Giulia Super online auction by trading garage

Started by pbhawkin, September 30, 2022, 10:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbhawkin

Hi,
does anyone have any comments about the recent auction for the lovely looking 1970 Giulia Super (Green with Tan interior) that was passed in at $56900 as reserve not met?
It's on Vic club plates but being sold by a dealer.  I guess one of our Vic members owned it?

regards
Peter
Mudgee
1972 Alfa Spider

GTV-074

Peter,
How well do you know these cars?

It looks fine from the pics but there are a lot of questions for me....

Don't know whats going on with the bonnet, the interior isn't leather (mentions leather in the text), door cards and chromeware looks really aged , warped...

So IMO 62,000 odd miles might be more like 162,000. The chrome strips and wear on the door handles is odd for that mileage. Boot area is worn too, we have no shots of under the car,
paint blemishes, dash has been recovered (vinyl part) bubble over main gauges looks odd etc etc.

May be a great car but definately needs a thorough inspection.

Passed in at $56,900 with 'reserve not met' - IMO seems about right price compared to some others on the market at present that aren't 100 point cars either.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

pbhawkin

Thanks for the comments GTV-074.
Yes, one would need to see it in person (with someone who knew what to look for) to really know what they were getting. AND I don't know these cars very well at all!

peter
1972 Alfa Spider

GTV-074

Peter,

I wasn't trying to be smart about the 'how well do you know' the cars bit, just meant to say, yes good to have a close look!

The prices of these things have really shot up. If we draw comparison to the Aussie muscle car scene, owners ask top dollar for cars that justify it (some don't!).

I see a lot of cars in the Alfa world, asking top dollars and they don't justify the asking, IMO.

Some espouse the car is this and that and rebuilt and parts replaced etc etc and yet you can see wrong bits, poorly repaired panels etc.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers.

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: pbhawkin on September 30, 2022, 10:13:21 AM
Hi,
does anyone have any comments about the recent auction for the lovely looking 1970 Giulia Super (Green with Tan interior) that was passed in at $56900 as reserve not met?
It's on Vic club plates but being sold by a dealer.  I guess one of our Vic members owned it?

regards
Peter
Mudgee

A bit of banter about this car amongst a few of us...South African? I suspect if you make a few call the origin will reveal itself...

GTV-074

Phil,

Why do you think it may be South African? I can see an Australian compliance plate (albeit a bit strange looking) and it still bears its chassis number on the firewall.

Most SA (or Rhodesian/Zimbabwe cars) have the number ground off to not show its origins (I have a Super from SA/Rhodesia) and it has no visible number. It has a four digit
number stamped on the Tipo plate, some cars didn't have a tipo plate but got a 'local assembled' plate (see the white 1.3 74' car on trading garage).

This olive coloured car has one. The only thing that throws me off is the state of the chrome interior bits, they almost look as though the car has spent a long time in a
humid environment (i recall some time ago seeing the interior of an early super that had spent its life in Malaysia or Thailand - warped door cards, washed out chrome bits etc.)

Cheers,

Paul.