comments on certain Alfas to buy

Started by pbhawkin, September 19, 2022, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbhawkin

Hi all,
New member here (well was a member back in the 1980's in Tassie) but now live in NSW (Mudgee).
I am looking to buy an Alfa again but in no hurry (i need to get a new shed built to house it in rather than kick one of the daily drivers outside). One of the main reasons I re-joined was to get feedback, ideas, suggestions  on what to look out for, what to look for, what to avoid and what's a reasonable price.
I'm not into racing, although the odd track day would be of interest but just for the experience (so no-one should feel threatened!).
I have to admit being torn a little between what I previously owned (1974 Alfetta and 1984 33 4x4 Sportswagon) which I loved both (even had suspension and engine mods done to each but I was 18 when I got the Alfetta and 25 when I got the 33) and something more exotic if not more genteel!
I was thinking about getting something from 1963'ish (year I was born) but open to anything up to the early 70's. I'm interested in the following but very open to reasons why not (like spares or running costs): 101 series Giulia spider or sprint, 105 series 1750 GTV, spider or Berlina super, maybe a 2600 sprint or spider, or ???.
So please feel free to add your 2c worth whether it is a car on the list or not.

regards
Peter
1972 Alfa Spider

GTV-074

Peter,

Its a real dilemma you pose here but a lot of it depends on your budget. The 105 range would be the ideal as far as numbers available, parts supply etc etc. Downside is you will be forking
out close to 100k for a full sorted model, thats from a 1600 GT - thru to a 2000 GTV. Sedans, especially Giulia sedans, have gone ballistic - close to 100k too. 1750 Berlina's go from mide teens to 40k (have a look at Carsales and see whats listed)
There are some at the lower end that need work/sorting so it depends. 33's are still around to be had at sub 20k but be prepared to do some work. Alfasud cars are scarce but again are at either end of the range (basket cases or top notch). Close to 30k or higher for top end.
Alfetta coupes (split dash) are bringing top dollars now too (up to 50k for 1.8GT's and 2.0L). Later 'plastic' coupes are up in the 30-50k range too, GTV6's add 20-30k !
Sedans can still be had for a decent price. The Alfetta range also has decent parts supply. Giulietta sedans always seem to be available too (again see Carsales).
Alfa 90 & 75 are rare and good ones pricey (3.0L 75's for example) - mechanical parts are fine (trans-axle) body parts will need to hunt out, sublime driving though!
The earlier 101 range are great drivers too but it'll be big bucks for them too. Parts (mechanical) are readily available (some body repair panels also).

So, in other words, set your budget and then get the best car you can afford!

And don't forget to put up pics once you've scored one.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

pbhawkin

Thanks Paul.
Just the sort of guidance I was looking for.
Will wait and watch the classifieds.

peter
1972 Alfa Spider

Anth73

The other thing to consider is that body condition trumps mechanical condition for me. Metal work and paint is much more labour intensive, unless you can do it yourself it will cost far more than mechanic repairs.
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

Repco Lad

This is a little out of your year range but you could do a lot worse than something from the 916 range. They rev like nothing else, handle like they're on rails and if you get a spider, you can ping the roof down too.
Still affordable but on the rise

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Anth73 on September 21, 2022, 01:16:12 PM
The other thing to consider is that body condition trumps mechanical condition for me. Metal work and paint is much more labour intensive, unless you can do it yourself it will cost far more than mechanic repairs.

This is the truth...

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: pbhawkin on September 19, 2022, 07:13:44 PM
Hi all,
New member here (well was a member back in the 1980's in Tassie) but now live in NSW (Mudgee).
I am looking to buy an Alfa again but in no hurry (i need to get a new shed built to house it in rather than kick one of the daily drivers outside). One of the main reasons I re-joined was to get feedback, ideas, suggestions  on what to look out for, what to look for, what to avoid and what's a reasonable price.
I'm not into racing, although the odd track day would be of interest but just for the experience (so no-one should feel threatened!).
I have to admit being torn a little between what I previously owned (1974 Alfetta and 1984 33 4x4 Sportswagon) which I loved both (even had suspension and engine mods done to each but I was 18 when I got the Alfetta and 25 when I got the 33) and something more exotic if not more genteel!
I was thinking about getting something from 1963'ish (year I was born) but open to anything up to the early 70's. I'm interested in the following but very open to reasons why not (like spares or running costs): 101 series Giulia spider or sprint, 105 series 1750 GTV, spider or Berlina super, maybe a 2600 sprint or spider, or ???.
So please feel free to add your 2c worth whether it is a car on the list or not.

regards
Peter

Having had 4 x 2600s over the decades - how much do you like driving a truck? Parts are rare too...

pbhawkin

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments so far.
my choices have narrowed a little further.
I am particularly interested in a series 2 Spider ( i dont want one converted from LHD) and 101 series Giulia spider. Maybe a Berlina Super.

Regards
Peter
1972 Alfa Spider