Update on 3.2 JTS Q4 engine performance

Started by Ascari32, July 26, 2022, 01:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascari32

14th June, Clive Atthowe, Norwich for Dynamometer run. Still studying the results. However, I wish I had been braver as the balance of the engine shows clearly at the top end - beyond Alfa's limit. Should have gone to 7500rpm, although Clive Atthowe said he "Had a Peek", but didn't record it.

Still, I shall be back there when I finally make some sense of the MAF issues. However, still no software changes as yet! 

But it highlighted a couple of issues I am now investigating: -

1.) The intake restriction caused by the "Slatted Screen", particularly when the ECU/Lambdas go open loop.

2.) The saturation of the MAF Amplifier (No further increase in signal to the ECU, despite airflow through the MAF continuing to rise).

The second point is emphasised by virtue of the virtually flat torque response of ~ 300Nm. from 5800 to 6900rpm., but the Sample/Sensor Tube/Screen, I believe will also have an influence.

Plot was started circa 3000rpm as it  is believed the Dynamometer fans, blowing into the inlet was upsetting the AFR due to the 23.5deg. PVO. (cross - flow). However, torque is very, very strong at the bottom end. Circa 1100rpm in fifth gear in Urban Traffic is no problem and constantly changing gears is a thing of the past.

P.s. A 3.2 GTA is only 300Nm. at 4800rpm.