Just lurking & learning

Started by WLB, January 14, 2009, 03:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLB

I haven't thought much about Alfas since the '70s - apart from drooling over the current model diesels in a more or less hypothetical manner.  No new cars for me.

However, I have a son who is a couple of years away from L-plates and keen on cars, old and new, so I suppose the time is fast approaching when I will have to start thinking about a first car for him.  He himself hasn't put much thought towards that yet; as far as I can tell.  It will be a bit of a dilemma I suspect when the time comes.  It clearly needs to be something reasonably safe, but safety has many aspects; doesn't it.  (For example, is a Daewoo with airbags and ABS really a safe car?)

He's a sensible, responsible kid with similar friends.  But in 3 or 4 years time; who can tell?  There will be mates with Commodore utes no doubt, and we've all done irresponsible things in our first cars.

So here's the dilemma.  Do we wait until the time comes and help him buy an affordable sensible car, knowing that it is likely to get bent before long in that almost inevitable first shunt or miscalculation?  Does he get a car like his mates in order to fit in?  Or do we get something he likes a year or so before he needs it and help him work on it, and learn to drive in it?  Help him learn to appreciate and respect fine machinery.

The cars he fancies (dream cars) are Aston Martins, Lambos and late model Alfas - so you can see why I wound up on this forum.
An old Alfa has certain advantages that fit with my requirements, apart from him liking the marque.  They are extremely capable from a handling point of view.  The right one (for this job) shouldn't depreciate.  They have "street cred" without having a large engine or the ability to burn rubber for 300m.  And finally, a classic (or potential classic) that he has worked on before getting his licence is more likely to be driven with some care when he first gets onto the road on P-plates and begins to really learn to drive.

So that's what brings me here.  I want to spend this year eavesdropping on Alfa people and perhaps asking the odd question.

Mat Francis

You sound like a pretty wise sort of guy there WLB. I agree with a lot of what is said there. So here's my 2 cents worth.

About 5 years ago my dad bought a car he had wanted for over 30 years, but until now could never afford. Which happened to be an Alfetta Sedan. Orphans almost, much less popular and sought after than the GTV's, but still every bit as capable, and far more practical (and @ $2500 with a roadworthy we couldn't be happier!). For the first 2 or 3 years, life for me went on, and i had little to no interest. However, around the age of 15 the ears pricked up a bit and it was on for young and old. i have since "claimed" the car off him, and been largely responsible for the acquisition of another 3 of these cars since.

Having this as my first car has been unbelievable beneficial, as although the car is very forgiving as far as handling goes, anyone who owns a 116 series car will tell you there is a certain finesse about the gearbox which will immediately bring most of the population unstuck. (Synchromesh in second and third gear does not exist in my car, as is the case with nearly all except those with recent rebuilds.) As such, you have to learn to double de clutch and change gears smoothly, otherwise you simply will not get a gear (and are likely to cause some serious damage). The point i am trying to make here is that from day one, i had mechanical sympathy hammered into my head, knowing that if i got it wrong, i was going to be handing dad the spanners while he fixed it. A great way to discourage painting black lines on the bitumen.

I think everyone would do well by going down the path of acquiring a cheap car to work on for a while, learning to drive in it and having to fix it when they break it. I sure learnt a lot from it!

oh and i'll just add that i'm 18 to help put some perspective on it

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi WLB,
Another option could be to go with a front wheel drive Sud, 33 or Sprint..
All offer the Alfa expeience of looks, sound and spirited performance, at a low pricepoint.  Front wheel drive delivers safe handling (appreciated by parents) and easy burnouts (appreciated by the young driver).
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

WLB

Thanks for the replies Mat and Marco.

Mat, if I was wise I probably wouldn't be messing around with old cars.  I did much the same thing as your father.  Two years ago I bought a car that I'd fancied for 40 years.  (Well one of many; so I suppose it's a start - although my wife would probably be hoping it was the end).  That's probably what got my son interested in old cars too.  We've been going to the B&E at Flemington each year since 2007 but it seems to have been cancelled this year.  Would have been a good opportunity for him to have a good look at some Alfas.
Perhaps a bit of psycho-analysis would reveal that I'm actually steering his interest so that I can get another old car and use him as the excuse.

I haven't seen either an Alfetta or Sud on the road for a very long time.
The only Italian I've ever owned was a 1974 124 Sport.  The slightly less pretty later model with the 1800 engine.  Mine was only a 4-speed.

spieret

I would have thought that any car a teenager gets for free would be liked. As for an older car, learning basic mechanicals to keep it running would help in many years to come. I think the thing with alfa's is that for the low price, you get a better performing car, both speed and handling, than you would with a later model Daewoo or the like. Plus the cars have character. What would sound better to his friends. I have a Daewoo, or, I have an Alfa Romeo.

My 2 cents worth.

Tony
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

WLB

It won't be entirely free Tony; I would only be assisting via some sort of agreement - but I know what you mean.  The learning of basic mechanical skills was certainly part of the plan, although I suppose those skills may not necessarily apply to late model cars in years to come.  But the general understand of things mechanical would still be relevant, wouldn't it.

There is of course a downside to learning to drive a superior handling car and owning one as your first car - and that is when you drive an average car afterwards you can easily come unstuck.  I learnt to drive in, and then acquired my father's FJ.  I think that I was a far more capable driver during my first few years of driving because I learnt in a car with terrible handling and brakes.  My younger brother on the other hand learnt in Dad's subsequent car, a Peugeot 404.  The first 2 mate's cars that he drove he nearly put off the road.  One was a Datsun 180B and the other was an HG Holden panel van.  Having learnt in the FJ, I knew that in the average car you NEVER braked in a corner - he'd didn't know because in a 404 you could; it just slows down and keeps going where you steer it.

But I suppose this doesn't really apply that much these days as the average car has come a very long way.

Your last point is one of the important ones I think, since peer pressure and hormones will be in full swing when the time comes.  That's what I meant by street cred.  I've had quite a few Peugeots since I eventually replaced the FJ with a 404 of my own.  A manual 504 or 505 will out-perform most of the typical local cars of their day, and many later ones, but this is largely unknown by people who haven't driven them or haven't read about them.  They are just one of those slightly odd French cars.  When questioned, I was always having to explain or justify.

An Alfa on the other hand is different.  No explaining necessary - everyone just knows.  You can argue about build quality or rust problems for different models, but their on-road capabilities are just universally accepted.  Nobody has to prove anything to anyone.
The other guy in the warmed up VT Commodore knows that he can thrash an old Alfa in a straight line, but he also knows that it would leave him behind in the corners.

Warwick.